Update+downgrade: 11.0-64 to 11.2-32

Hello,

I have a laptop whch came with Vista (32 bit version) off the shelf, and for work reasons also installed Suse 11.0 back then. I never got nor the sound nor the wireless connection to work. Perhaps there was some problems with drivers due to having installed the 64 bit version, so now I want to try Suse 11.2 but the 32 bit one.

Can my current Linux version be overwritten without problems, and how do I do that? If not, please give me also some guidelines, because I am pretty hardheaded with these things.

Thank you.

Yes, your installed Linux can be overwritten without problems.

Just start a new installation, and during that delete 11.0’s partitions.

A new installation also will be a time to think about squeezing Windows’s partitions even more.

Tell the harware components names that do not work. Chances are, after some tricks sound and wireless will work.

No, if your laptop was new, perhaps the sound cards weren’t recognised. The Wireless stacks have been overhauled in last couple years, so ought to be less painful.

If a FOSS driver works in 32 bit, it’s almost certain to work at least as well in 64 bit (if not better most developers run 64 bit now).

Trying out a Live CD ought to give you a very good idea if the install will be a breeze or not.

I’m still waiting for you to reply to my effort to help you with your sound:
Asus x53s problems - openSUSE Forums
… it takes time to type such a reply. :frowning:

I think your sound can be made to work, but not if you do not provide the detail needed to help.

There is a more likely chance that 11.2 will work “out of the box” than 11.0 or 11.1 when it comes to sound, as 11.2’s kernel has the 1.0.21 alsa version “embedded” where 1.0.21 alsa has a more up to date and more comprehensive “autoprobe” of sound hardware upon boot.

Good luck with your efforts.

If you decide to install 11.2, BEFORE you install 11.2, in your current 11.0 make note as to which linux partition is located where …

ie from Linux type:
**df -Th
su -c ‘fdisk -l’
**and copy the output to a text file and keep a paper print. Make note as to what partition your / and /home are located.

Also make a backup copy of your /etc directory and put it on a memory stick. While you will not restore that /etc directory, there are MANY configuration files in there you may find useful to consult. Another useful config file to keep a copy of for possible consultation is /boot/grub/menu.lst.

When you install, you need to be certain the openSUSE installer is going to put the new / on top of the old / and mount the new /home where the old /home is located. If you wish to keep the old /home, you need to ensure the openSUSE installer is going to mount the /home and not reformat it. But it will need to reformat the / on top of the old / .

If you reach the point in the install where openSUSE proposes what it is going to do, but it does not look correct then STOP there. Do NOT continue. Take a picture of what you see with your digital camera, and then abort the install (before it is too late) and post your pix on a site such as ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing and then reference that image in a new thread on our forum, seeking advice as to how you can fix it.

For average to advanced users, this install is incredibly easy to do, but for new users there is always (rightly so) risk and trepidation.

Please look at our new users’s guides in the New User FAQ/How-To area:

Okay, I just installed Suse 11.2. Sound works fine, and wireless appears to be (it detects my network but somehow I am not getting internet access, I´ll start fighting with the configuration then…).

However I must have done something wrong, as the installing program unistaller (what a silly tongue twister, but I think you must know what I mean. This thing was not in previous releases, was it?) didn´t work, and when I boot Windows, the option of installing Suse keeps appearing. How could I fix it? I tried reinstalling the installer and then uninstalling it again, but to no avail.

By the way, I´m sorry if you wasted some time with me in the other post, but I´ve been busy, and the things I tried didn´t work so I kind of gave up. But I´m back I guess…

Oh that’s odd, I ran that, then booted using it, and the entry was removed from the Win boot manager. You probably can remove the entry with bcdedit or by installing EasyBCD.