Untangle

Has anyone ever tried to built Untangle on or for openSUSE?

I’m not seeing it in the build service.

Is there a brave soul who would try to build it on the build service? I don’t know how.

svn://svn.untangle.com/trunk/src

Hi
But it’s a standalone server?
http://www.untangle.com/Product-Overview

You mean build it on the openSUSE base, rather than Debian?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default
up 3 days 16:42, 4 users, load average: 0.03, 0.10, 0.13
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

They release it packaged with Debian, but the build instructions state that you can compile and then make a .deb package that in theory would install on top of naked Debian.

However, I assume it would be possible to just download from SVN, and compile it on top of openSUSE.

I assume Untangle is built on top of Lenny, which is on a 2.6.26 kernel. If it was compiled for openSUSE 11.2, you’d start with the 2.6.31 kernel.

I also just really like the package quality of openSUSE repos.

Hi
But eleven of the application are either trial ware or you need to
buy…?

What free ones were you thinking of?

Do you have a SUSE Studio account?

up 3 days 22:39, 4 users, load average: 0.27, 0.18, 0.11

Hi
Downloaded the src tarball, here is a list of the build order
http://pastebin.com/m6ddcd56

I’m guessing it could be done, but looks like a lot of work…

up 3 days 23:52, 4 users, load average: 0.32, 0.31, 0.20

I don’t have a Suse Studio account. Last time I looked it was by invite only.

I suppose if I put in enough time I might be able to figure out the build service and compile this there on my own.

I thought perhaps someone who was already familiar with the build service might tackle it. If someone does, I would be grateful. If not, I’ll try on my own in time. I’m just swamped with other projects.

I’d rather manage the underpinnings of Untangle from yast.

Untangle does has some plugins which are commercial, but you don’t have to use them. Most of the commercial plugins are just alternatives to the existing free ones. For instance, the paid version of Untangle replaces Clamav with Kapersky. The free version is still pretty dang good.

However, in addition to yast, building it on openSUSE 11.2 would allow me to link to the latest versions of all the dependencies and use a 2.6.31 kernel (new chipset drivers, newest network drivers, latest bug-fixes, and EXT4, oh my!). Not to mention, I’ve always had really good luck with openSUSE packages. They find a way to stay near the bleeding edge to give me the latest features and bug fixes while staying really stable.

With Suse Studio I imagine you could go one stpe further. You build Untangle on the buildservice, add that repo to Suse Studio, and then make an install CD for openSUSE 11.2 with Untangle. Rip out Xorg, KDE, etc. and instead include apache, untangle, squid, etc.

I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only person who would find this useful to make a really fantastic openSUSE/Untangle appliance.