unstable firefox

is anybody else finding Firefox 11 to be a little unstable?

I am running it on 12.1 x86-64 KDE 4.7

It just seems to totally crash from time to time.
When crashes I get a window asking if I want to restart or quit firefox.
If I click restart - it does not restart. :slight_smile:

If it is just me then I probably need to do a little more investigating.

No issues here at all

Here’s my crash report

Add-ons: {9E1A1CD4-8916-4951-AAB4-2D4497FDFD90}:0.6.20071013,{C631EB1C-4A6D-490e-A226-0D6FAD02C01C}:1.1.20110109,{aff87fa2-a58e-4edd-b852-0a20203c1e17}:0.9,{ea9be299-129b-4c3c-8876-d98c18c2fd39}:1.0.3,{DDC359D1-844A-42a7-9AA1-88A850A938A8}:2.0.13,{C4A808D2-254E-4039-832A-C75B72FBA2DA}:1.1.20110109,{89f8dde0-010a-11da-8cd6-0800200c9a66}:1.0.1,en-NZ@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org:1.0.1,{b9db16a4-6edc-47ec-a1f4-b86292ed211d}:4.9.8,susefox@opensuse.org:1.0.2,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:11.0
BuildID: 2012031200
CrashTime: 1333096243
EMCheckCompatibility: true
FramePoisonBase: 7ffffffff0dea000
FramePoisonSize: 4096
InstallTime: 1332182800
Notes: OpenGL: Tungsten Graphics, Inc – Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset – 2.1 Mesa 7.11 – texture_from_pixmap

ProductID: {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
ProductName: Firefox
ReleaseChannel: release
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 13912
StartupTime: 1333094887
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
URL: about:blank
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 11.0

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

Means nothing to me but at a quick glance I’d say it is something to do wiht one of my (few) extensions. - Problem is - which one?
Any way to tell from this crash report?
The only recognisable thing I can see there is the dictionary - but surely that wouldn’t cause a crash?

I find Firefox very unstable on 12.1 Gnome. It crashes daily.

Hyperbole if ever there was

Disable them all and add them back one at a time

Why is that hyperbole? Are you saying I am not telling the truth? I submit the error reports every time.

I’m saying your comment was unsubstantiated. At least in this thread, by such bug reports.

No, I’m not suggesting you are not telling the truth.

But your comment

I find Firefox very unstable on 12.1 Gnome. It crashes daily.
Is very subjective. Especially when provided without the detail. And I’ve seen no evidence of this being a common issue.

Fair enough. I didn’t realise I needed a body of proof to relate my experience. In any case, I have found Firefox to be unstable with the most recent updates, and it does crash daily for me. I haven’t had time to investigate. Incidentally I’ve been using Firefox on SLED since 2005 and it is very stable.

swims wrote:
> Fair enough. I didn’t realise I needed a body of proof to relate my
> experience.

It’s not a question of proof, it’s a question of evidence. Without
evidence, there’s no chance at all that the problem will get fixed,
because nobody else knows how to reproduce it or even what exactly ‘it’ is.

Well it’s a vanilla install of openSUSE 12.1 with only muzlocker font smoothing repo added and 1-click restricted formats multimedia install. No extra add ins or anything to Firefox. It just bombs out when a link opens another Firefox window. Sometimes, not all the time. And by submitting the reports to Mozilla a presume it will get fixed upstream eventually.

And by submitting the reports to Mozilla a presume it will get fixed upstream eventually.
Yes. They respond well in my experience

Hi,

Am 30.03.2012 06:56, schrieb farcusnz:
>
> is anybody else finding Firefox 11 to be a little unstable?
>
> I am running it on 12.1 x86-64 KDE 4.7
>
> It just seems to totally crash from time to time.
> When crashes I get a window asking if I want to restart or quit
> firefox.
> If I click restart - it does not restart. :slight_smile:
>
> If it is just me then I probably need to do a little more
> investigating.

Guys, Firefox has this nice feature to send crash reports. Please use
that, find your crash ids under about:crashes and send it along with
your reports. The cut’n’paste from above tells nothing at all.

I invested a lot of time to make crash reports from openSUSE packages
useful in the upstream crash collector to make your and my life easier.

Thanks,
Wolfgang

isn’t the information in about:crashes the information that has already been submitted to mozilla via the crash handler?

On 2012-03-31 14:36, farcusnz wrote:
> isn’t the information in about:crashes the information that has already
> been submitted to mozilla via the crash handler?

Interesting, didn’t know about this. Although I get a “crash not found”
response for two of them, and a report for the other two.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Am 31.03.2012 14:36, schrieb farcusnz:
>
>
> isn’t the information in about:crashes the information that has already
> been submitted to mozilla via the crash handler?

It is. But just in case these crashes are openSUSE specific noone will
probably notice them unless it’s a top crasher.
If people want to be sure that the crash is being looked at some
additional trigger is needed. That is for example filing a bug at
bugzilla.mozilla.org or bugzilla.novell.com and refer to the crash report.

Wolfgang

Exactly

And, some peoples browsing habits may be on the dark side of the net, where there are all kinds of attacks on your machine and privacy and may cause what could be perceived as a crash but are not.

Maybe unrelated to your issue, but I’m noticing problems with Firefox in recent days and struggling to get to the bottom of it all. Could be a wider Mozilla-related issue because neither Thunderbird nor a first-time install of SeaMonkey are behaving normally for me either. All very sluggish, and Firefox in particular seems to have problems with Twitter and the loading of a large percentage of other sites. I’m in the middle of trying various things but can’t figure it out yet.

On a laptop with a freshly installed 12.1 and KDE all was well until a few days ago, maybe it started with Firefox 11 - will roll back to 10 and see what that does. Opera on same machine seemingly not experiencing such issues, and another slower system running oS 12.1 and XFCE behind the same router is now faster for browsing and doesn’t have these problems. I tried changing the connection in Mozilla apps to ‘No proxy’ instead of ‘Auto’ and that seemed to make Thunderbird connect to the mail server much quicker, but it shouldn’t make any difference as I have no proxy set up anyway.

Depending on your graphics card (nvidia seems to have issues) with the latest flash-player update
I had to roll back to flash 11.1
I didn’t try twitter, my issue was at BBC.co.uk

I’ve seen some tech blogs lately that have given very unfavorable reviews to Firefox 11, whether for Linux, Windows or OS X. For instance, here is one.