Unreadable video after installing openSUSE 11.4 RC1

Hi:

Afater installing and rebooting openSUASE 11.4 my disaply is unreadable. This did not occur in openSUSE 11.3.

Machinie specs

Processor AMD Athloln 64 bit dual core
RAM - *GB
Video driver
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)
Monitor ACER LCD

I really want to install openSUSE as ssit has been my favortie distro since ver 9.0.

If thre is a way to boot to tahe command line by setting the runlevel perhaps I can do that by then isntalling the newest NVidia Linux driver for 260.x ? If anybody else has had this showstopping insatll problem and has fixed it please help me.

Thank you

Failsafe work?

Alternatively, try booting with the nomodeset boot option/parameter.

Thanks to both of you.

However what I need is probably the ability to add the parameter to the kernel Iduring the isntallation so I can boot to 11.4 GUI. Now, if you tell lme what line or parameter to add to the meu.lst kernel (I now realize that the kernel is probably the problem) then I could lisntalll 11.4 and fix the kernel line (I think the kernel is 2.6.37?) by mounting the openSUSE partition (/dev/sdb3 on my machine) using Debian (which is /dev/sdb1. In other wrods something like (in Debian) "mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb3 /media/openSUSE and sudo gedit /media/openSUSE/boot/grub/menu.lst. This will work I’m sure IF the insatllation is compete even when the the initial openSUSE GUI appears. lI believe this is so because I HAVE isntalled 11.4 as a virutal machine (VMwaRe) on Debian.

Is this likely t suceed? See I can even see the initial boot menu - I think it should be into the default kernel and I’lss set t oautologon. No keystrokes or mouse is available after isntalling on the “real” harddisk.

Marty Felkler

This thread is in the wrong subforum area. openSUSE-11.4 RC1 has not been released, and hence this belongs in the pre-release/beta subforum area.

Edit - post moved.

[quote="“martyfelker,post:4,topic:62082”]

Thanks to both of you.

However what I need is probably the ability to add the parameter to the kernel Iduring the isntallation so I can boot to 11.4 GUI. Now, if you tell lme what line or parameter to add to the meu.lst kernel (I now realize that the kernel is probably the problem) then I could lisntalll 11.4 and fix the kernel line (I think the kernel is 2.6.37?) by mounting the openSUSE partition (/dev/sdb3 on my machine) using Debian (which is /dev/sdb1. In other wrods something like (in Debian) "mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb3 /media/openSUSE and sudo gedit /media/openSUSE/boot/grub/menu.lst. This will work I’m sure IF the insatllation is compete even when the the initial openSUSE GUI appears. lI believe this is so because I HAVE isntalled 11.4 as a virutal machine (VMwaRe) on Debian.

Is this likely t suceed? See I can even see the initial boot menu - I think it should be into the default kernel and I’lss set t oautologon. No keystrokes or mouse is available after isntalling on the “real” harddisk.

Marty Felkler[/QUOTE]

This thread has been moved from the install/boot/login area where it was inappropriately originally started, and now moved to the Pre-Release/Beta forum subarea.

Both NNTP and WEB based users are now invited to post replies here.

Thank you for your patience during this thread move.

hi martyfelker,
have u installed propitiatory nvidia drivers ?
Your monitor is going to black and power saving mode after the boot splash ?
The same problem is suffering me and many others, The solution is,

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and in “Section “Device”” add the line "Option “ConnectedMonitor” “CRT-1"”

Finally this section looks like in my pc,

Section "Device"
   Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT-1"
EndSection

maybe u need to put LCD-1 .