Unnecessary accumulation of ""kglobalshortcutsrc" backup files (?)

On a PC running TW with Plasma 5, I’ve just noticed a lot of files named “kglobalshortcutsrc.AANNNN” (where A=alpha N=numeric) located in ~/.config

Should “something” be deleting these files, they seem to be backups of whenever “kglobalshortcutsrc” is altered, or are they kept for some mysterious reason… I could understand keeping the last one or two, but more than that?

I’ve just looked on another PC running 42.3 and there are none, only “kglobalshortcutsrc”.

I just checked. I only have “kglobalshortcutsrc”.

The others that you mention look like temporary file names. Perhaps when you change shortcuts, the initially go to a temp file that is later renamed.

It is probably safe to delete any that are older than your current login session.

Yes, I had already assumed it was probably safe to remove them, which I’ve just done to no ill effect.

Prior to removing them I used kompare to see what difference there was between “kglobalshortcutsrc” and the most recent of the “kglobalshortcutsrc.AANNNN” files. It seems the new “kglobalshortcutsrc” had been created as a result of recently removing “kmix” and installing “Audio Volume” (plasma5-pa). I’ve not changed any shortcuts myself, so guess these were all created as a result of adding/removing applications.

The question remains… I wonder why they, the *.AANNNN, are being left behind. :\

Probably a bug. Something is not cleaning up after using a temp file.

Or something (kglobalaccel or the kcm) is crashing before it successfully writes the config file.

Btw, I have seen such problems in KDE3 already…:wink:

If anything is crashing then… there’s nothing in “/var/log/messages” or “/var/log/Xorg.0.log”

However, “~/.xsession-errors-:0” contained this line: “detected kglobalaccel restarting, re-registering all shortcut keys” would that be an indication that “kglobalaccel” crashed?

Since deleting all of those files yeaterday, two more have appeared:

http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/f46a36dd

kglobalshortcutsrc.Ti1299 and kglobalshortcutsrc.kn1727 are identical

kglobalshortcutsrc has this line added (compared to kglobalshortcutsrc.kn1727)

“activate widget 23=Alt+F1,none,Activate Application Menu Widget”

I’ve no idea if that was triggered by an action I made or not… :slight_smile:

If these are temporary files, would it not be better they were written to /tmp rather than ~/.config

Worthy of a bug report do you think? If so, against what?

Btw, I have seen such problems in KDE3 already…:wink:

Wait long enough and you might see it in KDE6… :wink: