Unbuntu vs. SuSE

I recently had to reinstall the OS for a clunker of a laptop. I couldn’t get SuSE 11.1 to install at all, so I tried Ubuntu 9. It worked wonderfully. Here are a few pros and cons of Ubuntu vs. SuSE that I thought the community might be interested in reading.

RAM requirements:
Ubuntu can get along just fine with 1/4 Gig. SuSE live will not install on my clunker with 1/4G. SuSE may want to offer a stripped down version to work on older hardware.

Installing from a live CD:
Unbuntu has the option of a live install, or direct installation from the CD. Live installs are notoriously slow, especially with clunker hardware. SuSE should consider the option of direct install from CD as well as the install from live.

Laptop batter monitor
Ubuntu indicates the health of your battery, versus its percentage of charge. For example, Ubuntu indicated that my battery was working to 16% of capacity, even though it was fully charged. This is a nice feature that should be incorporated into SuSE.

Wireless card driver
Installing the wireless driver in Ubuntu is trivial. If you try to connect to a wireless connection, a window pops up and queries the operator if they want the driver installed.

YaST
Ubuntu doesn’t have YaST. YaST is one of the best setup tools there is.

Adding new users
Ubuntu appears to be designed for a single user platform. I couldn’t readily find way to add new users.

Yeh it can be annoying getting wireless in Ubuntu, but Ubuntu’s wireless support seems to get better with each release.
I dare say though that Ubuntu is perhaps one the best of the major distros for wireless, though openSUSE seems to do fine too

Adding new users
Ubuntu appears to be designed for a single user platform. I couldn’t readily find way to add new users.

No you can add new users in ubuntu:
go to:
System -> Administration -> User Management -> Administrator Mode
then follow this guide:
Ubuntu:Jaunty -

There are more discussions on this subject in the forum than I’ve had hot dinners!
And they often end up in flames.

Seriously though, there is nothing unusual about finding Pro’s and Con’s between Distro’s.

Well Ubuntu is popular, cant deny it and its easy to see why flames come up:
Distro envy

I have tried the most recent Ub* release and it runs beautifully on my Laptop no denying it! I have to work hard with it during install to get the advanced config I want for partitioning and booting, but once installed it’s great. But then so is openSUSE and for me at least, openSUSE = home:)

Yeh Ubuntu does not separate root from home for its main partition, but its easy enough to set up a seperate home partition

Hi
I don’t either, I have a data partition and then softlinks to my
config files and directories that don’t change per release. I also use
a separate /boot :wink:

It means I can run a multiboot system of different releases and DE’s
to leave the release specific stuff in /home (eg those .files/directories)

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 5 (i586) Kernel 2.6.31-rc5-git3-2-desktop
up 1:53, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.09, 0.08
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Laptop batter(y) monitor
Ubuntu indicates the health of your battery, versus its percentage of charge. For example, Ubuntu indicated that my battery was working to 16% of capacity, even though it was fully charged. This is a nice feature that should be incorporated into SuSE.
I think that’s part of Gnome’s battery monitor, and not distro specific though. Although I haven’t used Gnome under suse so I can’t be exact.

But it must get it’s information from HAL or something anyway, I’m sure there is a simple way of reading that info.

EDIT -

Found it:

linux-5obh:/ # cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         6000 mAh
last full capacity:      3424 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          14800 mV
design capacity warning: 177 mAh
design capacity low:     107 mAh
capacity granularity 1:  10 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  25 mAh
model number:            Primary
serial number:
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                Hewlett-Packard
linux-5obh:/ #

From that I can deduce that my battery is only about 57% healthy, although this is a nearly new battery and HP seem to play silly games with their battery info so I know it’s not accurate.

Something to do with different battery capacities and models.

Maybe that’s why it isn’t such a good idea to have that info, because people would always assume their batteries were faulty when there is actually another reason.

I’ve enjoyed Ubuntu in the past, but the forum community over there has gotten to be honestly the most depressing types I’ve ever seen.

It’s an odd thing to shun a distro for its community, but with Ubuntu I think I have a case here. A large chunk of their userbase seems to be stuck in a time warp. What’s worse, sites like Boycott Novell brainwash them with self-citing garbage about Mono and how companies work.

I’ve come to believe that a distro is only as good as the community around it.

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 01:56 +0000, Parthenolide wrote:
> I recently had to reinstall the OS for a clunker of a laptop. I couldn’t
> get SuSE 11.1 to install at all, so I tried Ubuntu 9. It worked
> wonderfully. Here are a few pros and cons of Ubuntu vs. SuSE that I
> thought the community might be interested in reading.
>
> RAM REQUIREMENTS:
> Ubuntu can get along just fine with 1/4 Gig. SuSE live will not install
> on my clunker with 1/4G. SuSE may want to offer a stripped down version
> to work on older hardware.

??? I think what you are meaning to say is that the arbitrary choice of
defaut install from Ubuntu better meets your expectation than the
arbitrary choice of default install under openSUSE. openSUSE can very
easily be installed into less than 1G of disk space. I have done this
many times.

…snip…
>
> YAST
> Ubuntu doesn’t have YaST. YaST is one of the best setup tools there
> is.

Agreed… but some of the evolution of YaST is going BACKWARDS instead
of forwards. There are some at Novell that don’t understand just what
it is and … in a way… are seeking its destruction.

I would love to have the old partioner back (new one is gross). Would
love to see YaST extended to handle more and make what it can handle now
better. IMHO, we shouldn’t dumb down YaST, but rather, include an
Advanced button on the panels. Currently, YaST’s evolution is in the
direction of making assumptions to simply things, but it also makes it
less flexible and frustrating. That’s a slam to whoever keeps removing
options for the sake of simplifying the interface. Whoever you are, you
don’t know diddly about i/f design.

>
> ADDING NEW USERS
> Ubuntu appears to be designed for a single user platform. I couldn’t
> readily find way to add new users.

Most would diagree… but I’ll agree with that one as well.

> That’s a slam to whoever keeps removing
> options for the sake of simplifying the interface. Whoever you are, you
> don’t know diddly about i/f design.

Probably the same 'tard that hides functions three levels deep so that now
something that took two clicks to accomplish now takes 13. Here’s the
problem as I see it, you’ve got a bunch of GNOMIES looking to ‘simplify’
YaST so that it fits in with GNOME. I really hope OpenSuSE goes KDE default
so this kind of rubbish can be addressed.

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 21:31 +0000, GofBorg wrote:
> > That’s a slam to whoever keeps removing
> > options for the sake of simplifying the interface. Whoever you are, you
> > don’t know diddly about i/f design.
>
> Probably the same 'tard that hides functions three levels deep so that now
> something that took two clicks to accomplish now takes 13. Here’s the
> problem as I see it, you’ve got a bunch of GNOMIES looking to ‘simplify’
> YaST so that it fits in with GNOME. I really hope OpenSuSE goes KDE default
> so this kind of rubbish can be addressed.

I sort of agree… YaST really isn’t Gnome or KDE centric though. I
think there is room for both desktops… and I don’t think forcing KDE
gets rid of the issue really.

KDE 3 rocks… KDE 4 hurts like a rock… Gnome is just a pebble in my
shoe.

…being nice is good – but, you dont know what youre saying. YAST isnt one of the best – it is the BEST loader…and the only thing going backwards is the intelligence of the people using Linux. You can make as many Users on Ubuntu as you can any other distro (flavor)(KDE version)(GNOME version)(XFCE version) or any Linux CD or DVD that you stick in the computer. The Standards are the same from one to another – what menu or what icon is used to represent that standard (protocol) may be a bit different – but, in any language it will mean the same. I have two Linux boxes both running opensuse 11.1 and they have 64mb video cards, 512 RAM and 500 gigs of Hard Drive and they serve files all day long and have been since SuSE 9.3 – so I know for a fact you are not paying attention when you are installing openSUSE 11.1 and Ubuntu doesnt load worse or better than any other distro (flavor) of Linux either and all the Linux flavors mainly agree to use certain bias even when they disagree - they still agree…now that being said – Mint is the only flavor right now that I have been able to successfully load programs from various flavors and have them work alright…nevertheless - if you are distraught and want a very successful install with all those unseen drivers and such – download and install the latest Linux Mint (Gloria) version 7 or (Mint 5 LTS). My dog can install these two versions – and shes a corgy with very short legs. lol

I’m not here to slander any distro, though for me Ubuntu would be my 2nd choice, after openSuSe. Besides,as I’ve said many times,“as long you’re using Linux it’s all good.”

The laptop battery stuff is in gnome.

@GofBorg No one is making yast more gnome centric/simpler/gnomified/et al. They did add a gtk ui to control center which I think is very reasonable.

EDIT: the gtk ui to control center is separate and in addition to the qt one. You get to choose which one you want. What they do with the qt one is on the yast and kde team’s shoulders.

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 00:06 +0000, Sagemta wrote:
> I’m not here to slander any distro, though for me Ubuntu would be my 2nd
> choice, after openSuSe. Besides,as I’ve said many times,“as long you’re
> using Linux it’s all good.”

Yes… I agree with you whole heartedly.

Linux is free. Life is good.

I have to agree. I personally do not hate any Linux distro. I just prefer some over others for various reasons. As it has been said, if it is Linux then all is good.

Linux is as much an icon for religion is as an icon for technology.

As such the few, the proud, the fanatics amongst our various communities have to point out the truth to each other and humanity. I think most of us who have an educated opinion, from a particular side of the fence, can and will agree that: Ubuntu (ubooboo) is a mule.

Ubooboo is a mule! If you missed that: Ubuntu is a mule. It looks like a mule. It smells like a mule. Ubooboo is as stubborn as a mule. Like many difficult pack animals; Ubuntu needs someone to encourage it to move with a whip. We all know who is driving home the lashes.

Yes… I also know that openSuSE can be compared to a Toad. Bring it on!

Life as a toad can have fringe benefits. Toads can get action! Hot princess types frequently come along and hand out big kisses to amphibians. Yes I read the story about Microsoft coming along and giving the Toad a kiss. That series of kisses came from a troll. The question is: what did the toad turn into? A mutant no doubt!

Perhaps the mutant should go get kissed by Citrix? Considering the continental European influences in SuSE/openSuSE the two can invite Vmware over and make it a party. That might shake up the Puritan leadership hiding out some place in the North Eastern United States. Yes! Even they eventually have to come out of their bomb shelters.

Citrix: Novell’s only option for virtualization marriage • The Register

:slight_smile:

I have 2 reasons for not trying Ubuntu yet

I love YAST

I prefer KDE to Gnome, and I never find people saying that Kubuntu KDE is as good as what is done with OpenSuse Gnome.

Had I been a Gnome lover and I never had used Yast I likely would have tried out Ubuntu

To be honest, even though I am currently using Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop (reason being that OpenSUSE 11.1 doesnt play well with my laptop at all), I still find myself mostly getting a better Linux experience with OpenSUSE.

However, Ubuntu does have a few features and details I would really like to see in OpenSUSE.

Mobile Broadband

The moment I first boot up Ubuntu it asks me if I want to set up my mobile broadband connection (I got a sim card in my laptop). I can then easily scroll through an amazing list of service providers and I instantly found my Norwegian one in the list. I hit ok and Im connected.

In OpenSUSE I didnt find my service provider and was asked to provide details manually… I have no idea what details are required so… yeah…

Hardware Drivers

Hardware drivers are really easy to install in Ubuntu. Just go to System → Administration → Hardware drivers and check off the proposed drivers you want to use…

I think OpenSUSE can learn a bit from Ubuntu though when all comes to all, I like KDE better than Gnome and OpenSUSE has a much better implementation of it than Kubuntu.