Unable to use window resizing when dragging to top/sides of screen on XFCE4 desktop in openSUSE Tumbleweed

Hello there,
Can someone please help me a bit? I’ve just noticed that I’m not able to use the window resize snapping feature anymore (you know, the one where when you drag a window to the top of the screen it maximises it and when you drag it away it snaps back to its original size, and then when dragged to the sides it snaps to one half of the screen and when dragged to one of the corners it resizes to that quarter of the screen and again when dragged away from it, it snaps back to the original size)…
Anyway, I’m using XFCE4 in openSUSE Tumbleweed and picom (though I have tried to stop picom and use the default XFCE4 window manager as well, but that didn’t do anything, still the same problem, so it’s not picom that’s at fault).

I’m happy to run any troubleshooting command/log that you need, but essentially I have tried to have a look in the settings but I just couldn’t find anything that could fix the issue, maybe I’m missing something here.
Thanks a lot.

Also wanted to add that apparently keyboard shortcut through window manager keyboard shortcut settings do work for window maximisation, left/right half of the screen and top/bottom right/left, but it won’t work if I drag the windows with the mouse to the edges of the screen.

It still works here on tumbleweed.

Edit : where to enable
Window Manager Tweaks - Accessibility enable Automatically tile windows when moving toward the screen edge

1 Like

Well, do you know? I don’t know how or what on Earth caused that to stop working…it used to work just fine, but I never touched that setting and yet yesterday I suddenly realised it wouldn’t work, where on my partner’s computer with Tumbleweed installed and same DE installed it still worked on his. So I was wondering what exactly was the issue…

Anyway, your suggestion perfectly helped me solving this problem and finally I get the desired behaviour once again. Thank you so much for the easy and painless fix. I just couldn’t figure out what I was missing :slight_smile:

Have a great day, cheers.

1 Like

Glad it worked. Might had been accidentally disabled it and you didn’t noticed. :smiley:

Maybe. But also kind of made me think if it could have been down to an update…sometimes little weird things happen. Thankfully not very often at all on my machines, but on my partner’s for example, with the same OS and DE but different hardware, he could come back and resume from sleep and Firefox is suddenly full screened when he didn’t do that or other bizzare things…but then again, thankfully they only seem to happen sometimes. But it makes me think, it could potentially be down to the NVIDIA drivers, I know Linux doesn’t play very well with NVIDIA graphics systems. They’re so bad with Linux compatibility, hence the famous “Nvidia, F… you” from Linus Torvalds :D. Anyway, beside the point now, at least the problem was easily solved.