Unable to [multi] boot into newly installed Suse 11.2

I suspect this is a ‘new Grub’ problem.

I installed OpenSuse 11.2 from DVD into one (sda10) of several partitions (the others containing other operating systems):-
/dev/sda1 * 1 63 506016 6 FAT16
/dev/sda2 64 4865 38572065 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 64 960 7205121 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 961 1859 7221186 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 1860 2759 7229218+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 2760 3026 2144646 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda9 3027 3924 7213153+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda10 3925 4865 7558551 83 Linux
I use NT Boot Loader for the multi-booting on the basis of chain-loading the boot sector of Linux partitions. (It is not destroyed by MS re-installations; and is actually very easy to use). I also have an older Grub shell boot floppy which can do likewise:-
root (hd0,x)
chainloader +1
boot

FWIW I found the disc partition & boot loader parts of the installation a nightmare. Difficult to know what it is going to do; and I am sure it did fiddle with parts I asked it to avoid. Horribly, it did not make me a dedicated Suse boot floppy like I checked. (This is always the safest boot option for a new install: it leaves the present boot system intact, and provides an independant way of loading your latest. You can refine things later). I had also checked to have the boot sector on the root partition.

I have never been able to get into the Suse. NT Loader does not like the partition boot sector. Nor does (an older) Grub from its boot floppy. I have tried the DVD in ‘system repair’ mode, when it finds things wrong and corrects them, same next time… It offers a way of directly booting a selected system; that did not work.

Any suggestions? I can provide more precise error msgs, but it is tedious; and system repair from DVD dicey. I feel that the partition boot sector is not being properly set up.

And I want to be able to make a dedicated boot floppy; how?

I have an identical problem with Ubuntu, which makes me think it is related to the ‘new’ Grub.

Lewis Smith

NTLoader?
Is this some kind of windows stuff or anything to do with ntldr?

Try supergrubdisk see if it can pick up your suse install

Don’t know what “NT boot loader” means, is it like this: Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista - any mix) with Windows bootloader. ??

Grub gets confused that far up the drive (sda9, sda10).
If you’ve put a redirect to (partition boot code for Grub) in the boot.ini file of xp, then grub’s involved and it might fail at that distance along the drive.

Under those circumstances it’s better to put a Grub boot process in sda6 to service sda6 through sda10 and to contain a chainload to sda1to pick up the boot.ini handing off to the windows install on sda5.

Thanks to you both, but this is now closed…

I made a ****-up; I hang my head in shame. After going round the circle again, I am in Suse, right now. Works from both Grub shell boot floppy, and NT Loader. Nothing to do with Grub2 - I now believe Suse uses ‘old’ Grub.
The NT Loader is OK, and the best choice if you have any WinNT/2000/XP. Very easy to adapt.

SORRY for the false alarm; have had too much hassle with new Linux’s lately.

Lewis Smith

Thanks to you both; but this is now closed…

I must have made a ****-up; I hang my head in shame. After going round the circle again, I am in Suse, right now. Works from both Grub shell boot floppy, and NT Loader. Nothing to do with Grub2 - I now believe Suse uses ‘old’ Grub.
The NT Loader is OK, and the best choice if you have any WinNT/2000/XP. Very easy to adapt.

SORRY for the false alarm; have had too much hassle with new Linux’s lately.

Lewis Smith