Unable to mount Audio Disc

I’ve got a problem playing CDs with openSUSE 11.1 and GNOME. When ever I put a CD in it says:

Unable to mount Audio Disc

Cannot find drive /dev/sr0

I don’t think it’s the CDROM because whenever I put a DVD in the drive openSUSE asks if I want to play it and it plays the DVD without any problems. If I boot into Windows XP I can play the CD fine as well.

Is there something I need to install/do before it will play CDs with openSUSE?

Thanks for any help.

Well, but I’m SURE you can rip disc first and AFTER THAT you can listen to your MP3!!!:wink:
Isn’t it GOOD ENOUGH for you man? >:)

It’s definitely perfect ergonomic solution !

lol!lol!

I can mount DVDs but I cannot mount CDs either. At all. As in I put the CD in the drive and it does NOTHING. I would also like some help, but if I can only get help like what tleskac said then I’ll just reinstall Vista. It would at least play audio CDs. I’m using the 64-bit version of 11.1 if that matters.

Here’s the output from /var/log/messages that pertains to my cd-drive when I insert an audio cd

Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: __ratelimit: 10 callbacks suppressed
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
Dec 24 07:20:08 linux-h1js kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1

I have not installed anything else on this machine; this is the default 11.1 64-bit install.

Simple answer.

First validate that it is a permissions issue by logging in as root and put the audio cd into the machine. It will probably mount. If it does then you have a simple fix.

Add your user to the cdrom group in /etc/group

That is all you have to do. Big bug, and I do not know how it got missed before the final release.

That’s the wrong answer. I am in the cdrom group and I still can’t listen to CD’s. Actually, it doesn’t work 75% of the time, but then it’ll work fine 25% of the time. It’s not working right now.

Trying to play DVDs with VLC is funny as closing VLC crashes compiz-fusion 100% of the time.

There are quite a few other causes of random crashes. Banshee crashes half the time it tries to play a video file… etc.

Anjuta IDE cannot open files nor can it create files.

There are a lot of serious bugs in this release.

bump. i’m getting the same issue. i will try adding myself to the cdrom group.

well…it seems adding my user to the cdrom group did the trick. sweet…

Finally solution for me - SM Player can play audio CD and video DVD also, thank you SM Player! :expressionless:

Added permissions to profile … still noda.

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Check out this blog:
Solved : K3b Problem with Normal User on openSUSE 11.1 | Spirit of Change

For me this is not a permissiosn issue I don’t believe. I can read/write data CDs - I can read/write DVDs - I can even write audio CDs - the system cannot mount audio CDs…

REPEAT - data CD/DVDs work fine - movie DVDs work fine - AUDIO CDs will NOT mount…

If you watch the tail of /var/log/messages when inserting an AUDIO CD, you’ll see error messages that I’ve included below. I’ve verified this on 2 different machines.

Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4
Jan 22 09:10:02 linux-ptg0 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1

I have the exact same /var/log/messages tail when inserting an audio CD in my CD/DVD. I added both ‘disk’ and ‘cdrom’ groups to my account, but I doubt that’s the problem. Inserting a data CD automounts and brings up a notification, then it is visible in Dolphin. ‘eject /dev/sr0’ works fine regardless of CD type. The drive itself is fine, as I used it to install 11.1, and it read audio cd’s fine in my previous installation, which was Mandriva 2009 One. I also had difficulty using k3b on a different drive CD/RW, when it wouldn’t recognize a blank disk, but then it did, so I thought I had made a mistake.

Yast reports the CD/DVD as /dev/sr0, and several others, including /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd.

Trying not to sound too stupid, but does anyone have a working system which reads audio CDs in v11.1? Ie, is this a bug in v11.1 or just a problem with certain hardware combinations and can anyone confirmed it does work for some people? I’m not sure if this is related, but Yast is reporting my cpu as an i386 rather than an i586, and yet it’s a ‘6’ family.

CD:
Model: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612
Driver: pata_via
Device Names
/dev/sr0
/dev/scd0
/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:07.1-scsi-1:0:0:0
/dev/cdrom
/dev/dvd
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD_ROM_SD_M1612

CPU:
model name: AMD Athlon™ processor
Architecture: i386
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
cpu family: 6

One of my Laws is that if you can’t find something, blame somebody else for losing it, and then you’ll remember where you put it.

There’s something going on with the default access control. When I followed this advice: https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=262331&action=diff
which I got from Solved : K3b Problem with Normal User on openSUSE 11.1 | Spirit of Change

I modified this file: /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.device-access.policy

I was then able to read an audio CD using smplayer, without rebooting. However, my real reason for following this thread was that I was trying to use Grip. Grip could then eject successfully, where it couldn’t before, but it still won’t scan the disc contents. So, there’s still something missing to be enabled.

Like I said…

Grip refused to scan the disc. So I shut down Grip and reopened it, and it worked fine reading the disc.

There are some other entries in the hal.device-access.policy that you might also want to enable.

Ok, I’m an idiot – I was expecting audio CDs to mount before being playable… not the case - stick the audio CD in - ( ignore the messages in /var/log/message ) - startup kaffeine and click on ‘Play Audio CD’ - it works just fine…

D’oh… that’s what they all say…

Bob

You have to worry if you were hit by this bug.The fix was in the update repo now.
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=408252#c14

I was having the same problem - Amarok would run, but wouldn’t read audio cd’s - kept returning an error about an unknown codec audiocd. I installed a different version of Amarok - 2.0.1. Although I have to first rip the discs to the drive using K3d (ogg-vorbis files), I can listen to my music with no problems.

Just reinstalled 11.1 with KDE4.2 and I’m getting the same issue. I can play a CD in Kaffeine or rip it in K3B, but when I insert it absolutely nothing happens. Other data CDs bring up a notification in the taskbar Device Notifier, offering options to open in Dolphin or whatever else. The same used to be true for audio CDs under KDE3.5.

I tried the policy-kit fix detailed on Bugzilla, have added myself to cdrom and disk groups, rebooted etc., and nothing makes any difference. What I did note was my fstab and mtab on this new installation contain nothing relating to the optical drive. From looking at the old fstab before I reinstalled, there were entries for /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvdrecorder, but that system had been upgraded several times since SUSE 9.2, so perhaps that’s an outdated method of doing things now?

Hi everyone I have the same problem on some clients here at work ever since we changed over to 11.1 in December everytime you put in a CD or DVD Medium (doesnt matter if its Audio or installation DVD etc etc) opensuse says:

“Drive /dev/sr0 does not contain audio files”

I have tried logging in with root to mount dvd or cd’s . Adding user to disk, cdrom, groups etc nothing is working. Bugzilla says the issue is resolved and to open up a new one if persisting. So any help would be appreciable here (Or is the patch in the repos already ? ) If so please link it. Haven’t been able to burn or read dvd cd mediums since December.

lshal output:

udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_RW_DVD_GCC_4481B'
  access_control.file = '/dev/sr0'  (string)
  access_control.type = 'cdrom'  (string)
  block.device = '/dev/sr0'  (string)
  block.is_volume = false  (bool)
  block.major = 11  (0xb)  (int)
  block.minor = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  block.storage_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_RW_DVD_GCC_4481B'  (string)
  info.addons = {'hald-addon-storage'} (string list)
  info.callouts.add = {'hal-acl-tool --add-device'} (string list)
  info.callouts.remove = {'hal-acl-tool --remove-device'} (string list)
  info.capabilities = {'storage', 'block', 'storage.cdrom', 'access_control', 'access_control'} (string list)
  info.category = 'storage'  (string)
  info.interfaces = {'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage', 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage', 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.S
torage.Removable'} (string list)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_266f_scsi_host_scsi_device_lun0'  (string)
  info.product = 'RW/DVD GCC-4481B'  (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_RW_DVD_GCC_4481B'  (string)
  info.vendor = 'HL-DT-ST'  (string)
  linux.hotplug_type = 3  (0x3)  (int)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sr0'  (string)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_argnames = {'extra_options', 'extra_options'} (string list)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_execpaths = {'hal-storage-eject', 'hal-storage-closetray'} (string list)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_names = {'Eject', 'CloseTray'} (string list)
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_signatures = {'as', 'as'} (string list)
  storage.automount_enabled_hint = true  (bool)
  storage.bus = 'pci'  (string)
  storage.cdrom.bd = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.bdr = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.bdre = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.cdr = true  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.cdrw = true  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvd = true  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdplusr = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdplusrdl = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdplusrw = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdplusrwdl = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdr = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdram = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdrdl = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.dvdrw = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvd = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvdr = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.hddvdrw = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.mo = false  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.mrw = true  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.mrw_w = true  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.read_speed = 1058  (0x422)  (int)
  storage.cdrom.support_media_changed = true  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.support_multisession = true  (bool)
  storage.cdrom.write_speed = 2  (0x2)  (int)
  storage.drive_type = 'cdrom'  (string)
  storage.hotpluggable = false  (bool)
  storage.lun = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  storage.media_check_enabled = true  (bool)
  storage.model = 'RW/DVD GCC-4481B'  (string)
  storage.no_partitions_hint = true  (bool)
  storage.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer'  (string)
  storage.partitioning_scheme = ''  (string)
  storage.removable = true  (bool)
  storage.removable.media_available = true  (bool)
  storage.removable.media_size = 3662577664  (0xda4e8000)  (uint64)
  storage.removable.support_async_notification = false  (bool)
  storage.requires_eject = true  (bool)
  storage.size = 0  (0x0)  (uint64)
  storage.vendor = 'HL-DT-ST'  (string)

/var/log/messages :

Feb 16 16:30:16 halja dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.58" (uid=0 pid=4373 comm="/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-hal-volume-monitor ") interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.Removable" member="CheckForMedia" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=2429 comm="/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes "))

Feb 16 16:30:51 halja dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.66" (uid=0 pid=4487 comm="python /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/system-con") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=":1.1" (uid=0 pid=2429 comm="/usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes "))

regards idshark