Unable to login after installation

Just completed installation of Suse 11.1. Now during startup of Suse I prompted with a local login screen but after entering the same details i added during installation, it still says ‘unable to authenticate user’.

I don’t know what i could do to correct this. Need help please!

Just completed installation of Suse 11.1. Now during startup of Suse I prompted with a local login screen but after entering the same details i added during installation, it still says ‘unable to authenticate user’.

I don’t know what i could do to correct this. Need help please![/QUOTE]

someone please help!!

try logging in as root ( i know, not the done thing ) then check your user settings

Andy

Apologies for my ignorance but im a newbie in the unix enviornment and so would i log on as a root?

If you specify your username/password as lower-case letters, you need use lower-case letters upon logon. Linux and also Unix is case sensitive. Maybe this might help.

I am aware of this but i need to reset my username/password by the looks of it cause i am not able to log on in both normal (open SUse) OR failsafe mode.

I am keen explore this O/S but i am making no headway… Please help.

For the last three days I am just am having nothing but headache with installing this O/S. I am getting no help in this forum either. I feel disappointed.

Since you had problems with the first DVD and very similar errors from the second DVD, I suspect that you are missing pieces. The easiest thing to do is to reinstall and see if the error reproduces - if it does not, you can almost be positive it is because of a faulty DVD again. I know this must not be pleasant to hear, but it really looks like that may be the problem again. :frowning: