Unable to locate computer by hostname

Silly me, I went into Yast and disabled the SYSLOG service, ignoring the warning of which services would be affected, I went ahead anyway and stopped it. Sure enough, a handful of other services stopped as well.

Now I have almost recovered the PC from this foolish mistake of mine, the only problem I seem to be stuck with is I am now unable to locate the computer on my LAN by hostname … does anyone know which service I should restart please (if it helps, the computer can resolve DNS names such as Google.com OK)?

Check in Yast → system → runlevels. Make sure nmb and smb are “enabled” (marked as “yes”). Also, after a reboot, check that this command:

su -c "rcnmb status;rcsmb status"

returns two counts of “running”. Finally, if you want to ping by hostname, add “wins” into /etc/nsswitch.conf like this:

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns

That was it, after starting NMB I can see my computer from Windows by hostname again, lol thanks swerdna!

bgrsvr-y:~ # rcnmb status;rcsmb status
Checking for Samba NMB daemon                                                             running
Checking for Samba SMB daemon                                                             running

C:\Documents and Settings\badger_fruit>ping -t bgrsvr-y

Pinging bgrsvr-y [192.168.1.225] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.225: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.225: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.225:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 4ms
Control-C
^C

Excellent…