Unable to install Oracle Java 8 OpenSUSE 13.2

In the above:
The javaplugin is available only in the Oracle JDK, not in the Oracle JRE only and not in openJDK.

As Miuku noted, openjdk needs to be removed.
Interestingly, I just tested removing openjdk with the following command which seems to remove openjdk but refuses to remove the “headless” packages. If you then go in and remove the headless packages specifically, it leaves the update-alternatives entries intact

zypper rm java

TSU

You might find a better approach is to take a look at the scripts I used to install Oracle SE 7 JDK, I purposefully kept the scripts individual for maintenance reasons. Modify the script that contains the instructions for creating and updating “update-alternatives” for your own use.

Also, AFAIK you shouldn’t need to enter your JAVA environment variables elsewhere, it should be specified in update-alternatives as best practice.

As for your JEdit issue (don’t know where your other post is), the simple way to resolve is to find another Java app installed in KDE (or install one) to provide a template for how to do so correctly. So, I don’t know if it would work in KDE but I posted how to do this for LXDE (and likely works for XFCE). Note the commands and required flags…
https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/LXDE-Main_Menu

TSU

I am having trouble with Oracle Java on 13.2. I much prefer openJDK but my tax authority refuses to work with openJava / IcedTea. Therefore I have installed 8u25, 8u31 and now 8u40 (removing iced tea) using a combination of instructions from the SDB and this thread. Everything was OK up to 8u31 but now I am out of my depth (again :’(). Here is present situation:

linux:/ # rpm -ql $(rpm -qa | grep jre) | grep libnpjp2.so
/usr/java/jre1.8.0_25/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
/usr/java/jre1.8.0_31/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so

linux:/ # java -version
java version "1.8.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

I am using FF but the plugins show only 8u31. Installation of the latest version (8u40) generated the error message reported by others. I therefore switched to the .tar generic version. It appears to be properly installed but not recognized. Should I use the Java web site instructions to remove the old versions and rerun the symlink command?

I got the same message but was able to install with the following method.

As root, run the following command to create an alias for the redhat command to the Suse command:

ln -s /usr/sbin/update-alternatives  /usr/sbin/alternatives 

Run the following command to install the rpm without checking for dependencies (use the correct filename if you are installing the jre):

rpm -i --nodeps jdk-8u40-linux-i586.rpm

I see this has been reported as a bug and is marked “resolved, incomplete” … not sure what that means… https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8075409

Thanks DVCROFT. This worked for me. I made the adjustment for jdk/jre and i586/x64. The second command complained but I now have 8u40 and it shows up in FF. So SOLVED!

Works GREAT!! Thank you…!! - Merci beaucoup…!! - Ngibona kakhulu…!! rotfl!

André

I tried that but it did not work as well. Then I tried running rpm with --nodeps option, which generated the expected errors related to the missing “alternatives” binary but installed the files. Then I ran:

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_45/bin/java 20000

And now Java 8 is working fine on Opensuse 13.2.

Marco Aurelio Freiberger Monteiro

Another simple solution is this: openSUSE Software
Works fine here on OpenSuSE 13.2/x86_64

Greez
PhilMan

Creating the symlink /usr/sbin/alternatives from /usr/sbin/update-alternatives does work. However it is a manually operation that needs to be done on all installs of the Oracle Java. We have the Oracle JDK/JRE in our yum repository which is installed on all servers we assemble. Having to maintain this symlink within an install script is not a good solution. It is a hack. Would it not be better to repackage the RPM for use on SUSE? We did not have this problem with Java 7, only with Java 8.

Why does SUSE have update-alternatives, while Fedora/Redhat have just alternatives? They are both an RPM-based distro.

Hi All,

I’ve read all the tips above, but the below simple way worked me. (OpenSUSE 13.2).

Simply downloaded the Oracle Java 1.8 package “java-1_8_0-sun” from OpenSUSE repo , the RPM version and installed normally:

tools1:~ # rpm -ivh /root/install/java-1_8_0-sun-1.8.92-18.1.x86_64.rpm
warning: /root/install/java-1_8_0-sun-1.8.92-18.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID b1c20679: NOKEY
Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing...
   1:java-1_8_0-sun-1.8.92-18.1       ################################# [100%]
update-alternatives: error: alternative javaws can't be slave of java: it is a slave of javaplugin
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-sun to provide /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-sun (jre_sun) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib64/jvm-private/java-1_8_0-sun/jce/vanilla/local_policy.jar to provide /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-sun/lib/security/local_policy.jar (jce_1.8.0_sun_local_policy) in auto mode
tools1:~ #

I then ignored the error message from update-alternatives, it’s just a conflict about OpenJDK and Oracle Java.
Instead added Oracle java to the update-alternatives manually:

tools1:~ # update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-sun/bin/java 20000
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-sun/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in auto mode

Done.

List of java’s:

tools1:~ # update-alternatives --list java
/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk/bin/java
/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk/bin/java
/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-sun/bin/java

tools1:~ # update-alternatives --config java
There are 3 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection    Path                                       Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0            /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-sun/bin/java       20000     auto mode
  1            /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk/bin/java   1705      manual mode
  2            /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk/bin/java   1805      manual mode
  3            /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0-sun/bin/java       20000     manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice
[li], or type selection number: 0[/li]tools1:~ #

The Oracle Java is started with java command:

tools1:~ # java -version
java version "1.8.0_92"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_92-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.92-b14, mixed mode)

Hope it helps.

Yes, indeed. It helped a lot also for Leap 42.1

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Superpeppo89/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/ java
# installed package java-1_8_0-sun-1.8.92-18.1.x86_64.rpm interactively 
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.8.0-sun-1.8.0/jre/bin/java 1
update-alternatives --config java

Done!