Unable to establish a PPPoE connection

Hello!

This is my first time trying to use PPPoE on openSUSE. It is a fresh install of 13.1.

Scenario: I am connecting to a LAN, either using an ethernet cable directly or a wi-fi access point. Internet access for everyone on this LAN is provided via PPPoE.
I am usually using Windows and the connection works hassle-free, regardless of how I connect to the LAN (wired/wireless). I just have to enter the user name and the password when setting it up. Same thing on Ubuntu/Mint using pppoeconf, although it has been a while since I last tried.

Enter openSUSE: I still haven’t figured out how to connect using PPPoE. This is what i’ve tried:

1. Network Manager DSL: When connected to the network using wi-fi, It doesn’t event display the option to connect using PPPoE. Using a cable, it first disconnects my ethernet connection (why would it need to do this when i need the wired connection to dial PPPoE?) then a window pops up asking me for the secret, with the user name already filled out. I enter the password, the window goes away then comes back. This happens several times until the network manager gives up.

2. Yast DSL: I have created a provider. Now, how do I start the connection? I tried using QInternet, but all menu entries except ‘Exit’ and "Configure with Yast’ are grayed-out. Is there something I am missing here?

3. rp-pppoe: Always times out.

Can i try anything else? Is there a way to get pppoeconf in openSUSE?

Would any of these options have a better chance working if i set the network to use ifup instead of the Network Manager? Why?

How can I troubleshoot 1., 2., 3.? Are there any log files? Where can i find them?

Thanks!

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 11:46:02 GMT, ccarapencea
<ccarapencea@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Hello!
>
>This is my first time trying to use PPPoE on openSUSE. It is a fresh
>install of 13.1.
>
>Scenario: I am connecting to a LAN, either using an ethernet cable
>directly or a wi-fi access point. Internet access for everyone on this
>LAN is provided via PPPoE.
>I am usually using Windows and the connection works hassle-free,
>regardless of how I connect to the LAN (wired/wireless). I just have to
>enter the user name and the password when setting it up. Same thing on
>Ubuntu/Mint using pppoeconf, although it has been a while since I last
>tried.
>
>Enter openSUSE: I still haven’t figured out how to connect using PPPoE.
>This is what i’ve tried:
>
>1. Network Manager DSL: When connected to the network using wi-fi, It
>doesn’t event display the option to connect using PPPoE. Using a cable,
>it first disconnects my ethernet connection (why would it need to do
>this when i need the wired connection to dial PPPoE?) then a window pops
>up asking me for the secret, with the user name already filled out. I
>enter the password, the window goes away then comes back. This happens
>several times until the network manager gives up.
>
>2. Yast DSL: I have created a provider. Now, how do I start the
>connection? I tried using QInternet, but all menu entries except ‘Exit’
>and "Configure with Yast’ are grayed-out. Is there something I am
>missing here?
>
>3. rp-pppoe: Always times out.
>
>Can i try anything else? Is there a way to get pppoeconf in openSUSE?
>
>Would any of these options have a better chance working if i set the
>network to use ifup instead of the Network Manager? Why?
>
>How can I troubleshoot 1., 2., 3.? Are there any log files? Where can i
>find them?
>
>Thanks!

I do not understand why you are trying to add DSL to the issue. Unless
you have a DSL card in your computer you won’t see that aspect of your
connection.

Try Ethernet / wireless connection setup.

?-)

I am facing the exact same problem!

The connection works without any problem in Ubuntu 12.04 & 14.04 via Network Manager.

Can someone please point us in the right direction? :frowning:

There is no special Ubuntu version of NetworkManager that is better. There could be differences in configuration or having packages not installed though. A little info on the setup and what you have attempted so far might help.

Welcome to the forums sarfarazkazi. You are generally better off to start your own new thread, (with a descriptive title) in situations like this. Anyway, a good place to start diagnosing problems with NetworkManager connectivity is to examine the log file (/var/log/NetworkManager).

You can examine it real-time, by starting the monitoring first in a terminal with

tailf -f /var/log/NetworkManager

then trying to connect. That should provide useful information about what might be failing during the connection process, (that you can then cut/paste here if you need further help).