Unable to complete install: 'internal error: guest failed to start:

My Work Station is a Ubuntu Studio KDE. I have KVM/QEMU/LXC installed and added the LXC connection to my Leap sever.

SuseC1 on Libvirt-LXC: lxc1 (Server):

<domain type="lxc">
  <name>container1</name>
  <uuid>75d91505-6e78-4708-8783-faee6a4aebfb</uuid>
  <title>SuseC1</title>
  <memory>2097152</memory>
  <currentMemory>2097152</currentMemory>
  <vcpu>4</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch="x86_64">exe</type>
    <init>/sbin/init</init>
  </os>
  <features>
    <privnet/>
  </features>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/lib64/libvirt/libvirt_lxc</emulator>
    <filesystem type="mount" accessmode="mapped">
      <target dir="/"/>
      <source dir="/src/suse"/>
    </filesystem>
    <interface type="network">
      <source network="default"/>
      <mac address="00:16:3e:a1:96:f4"/>
    </interface>
    <console type="pty"/>
  </devices>
</domain>

In trying to create the Container from this Host I get this error.

Unable to complete install: 'internal error: guest failed to start: Failure in libvirt_lxc startup: cannot find init path '/sbin/init' relative to container root: No such file or directory
'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 75, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/createvm.py", line 2089, in _do_async_install
    guest.installer_instance.start_install(guest, meter=meter)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py", line 542, in start_install
    domain = self._create_guest(
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py", line 491, in _create_guest
    domain = self.conn.createXML(install_xml or final_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 4034, in createXML
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateXML() failed', conn=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: guest failed to start: Failure in libvirt_lxc startup: cannot find init path '/sbin/init' relative to container root: No such file or directory

Does this mean I will not be unable to create Containers from this Host or do I need additional settings or ?

Did you execute “lxc-create” by means of “sudo”?

What is the complete “lxc-create” command line you used?
[HR][/HR]BTW, the openSUSE view of managing Virtual Machines with LXC is here – <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/virtualization/html/book-virt/part-virt-lxc.html#&gt;

Yes, I followed the direction here, “Setting Up LXC Distribution Containers”: but I wanted to use the Virtual Machine Manager on the workstation instead on the Server to create the Container. It that possible?

Probably not because, that would mean that, container management on the client would be managing the containers on the server – which is a security issue …

• Unless, there’s a “trusted connection” between the client and the server – the container client and container server have to be members of a “trusted environment” …

Okay thanks!..

IMO your error in this case is not likely related to managing your libvirt-LXC from a remote (ie non-default. “Remote” in this case only means not specifying the localhost virtualization server).
Am not sure what is causing your error, I’ve run tests creating an LXC container, if done correctly I haven’t had a problem launching.
You may have to post your exact commands creating a container so others can verify your command is correct.

If you want to set up management of your virtualization server from a non-default client, the openSUSE documentation at the following link looks good (I criticize parts of the virtualization documentation, but this one does not appear to contain anything I object to)

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/virtualization/html/book-virt/cha-libvirt-connect.html

TSU