unable to capture sound

Now as in right now.
Plus when I do hwinfo --sound, I get nothing - no info at all. It used to give info about my sound card, now it doesn’t.

I know that.

I mean, what did you do ? Did you remove the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file ? Did you restart afterward? Did you go to YaST > Hardware Sound (after deleting the 50-sound.conf file) and try to add the card again ? Edit the card again ?

Did you change the "Simple mixer control ‘Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack’,0 " setting in the mixer ?

Did you try something else ?

What does now mean ? Now after what ?

I have no idea as to what you tried. Hence I can not give advice.

Anyway, its late. I have to work tomorrow. I’m going to bed. Good night and good luck.

I will be turning this computer off soon too.
This is the result of my trying to re-add that 2nd sound card entry: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnart/nownosound1a.png

Did you change the "Simple mixer control ‘Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack’,0 " setting in the mixer ?

I think I might have but now I can’t even get to it to fix that.

I did not remove the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file. Maybe Yast did that, I don’t know.

Yes, I had restarted.

Did you go to YaST > Hardware Sound (after deleting the 50-sound.conf file) and try to add the card again ?

Yes

Edit the card again ?
I’m not sure. I don’t know what to edit from YaST.

The way to fix that error since openSUSE-10.0 (was that the 1st ? ) and before then SuSE-Pro was to remove the equivalent file to the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf. Back it up under /home/your-username, before removing it.

Did you look to see if the file is there ? I bet the file is there.

Back it up. Remove it. Restart.

You can start by removing the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf (after 1st making a backup somewhere but NOT in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory.

OK, I think I made that clear what do do next. OK ? Remove the file. Restart. Test sound. If sound does not work, go to YaST and see if card is identified as configured. If not, configure nominally. Then exit YaST. Test sound. Run pavucontrol if necessary when testing. Tune pavucontrol when testing (make screen dumps of default condition so can go back as required).

Next time when you say ‘now’ please advise as to what happened BEFORE ‘now’ because I am not smart enough to guess what you have done when you say ‘now’.

I’m sorry about that.

Well here’s a new development: My son-in-law discovered that the sound card has been dislodged somehow. So, I’ll wait until my husband gets home from seeing the space shuttle launch and have him put it back in place. I guess the sound card’s getting loose might have been the reason behind Alsamixer’s not being able to start up and the fact that pavucontrol showed no sound card but showed only a ‘dummy’?

I’ll write down what you said and try that after the sound card gets plugged back in.

BTW, I’m wondering if maybe the sound card “died” on me. I guess I’ll know later.

Thanks again and I’ll be posting my results.

Yes, that could explain things.

Reference space shuttle launches, they are always exciting to watch. I was fortunate to be the Instrument engineer on a satellite being launched from the spaceshuttle back in the early 1990s, and I spent 6-months in Cape Canaveral. I managed to watch 4 space shuttle launches (1 from the causeway, and 3 from just behind the emergency vehicles on the NASA side of the Air Force Station). The noise and vibration from being 3.5 or so miles away from the space shuttle was MOST impressive. Absolutely amazing.

But my favourite was the night launches of the Thor Delta Rockets that were launching GPS satellites. They would light up the entire sky for minutes ! We used to have parties in a Condo on the beach in Cape Canaveral on the night of the Thor Delta night launches, and then with 30 seconds to liftoff we would have a mad rush to the balcony to watch the rockets take off from many many miles away. We were very far away in Cape Canaveral, but because it was a night launch one could see for dozens of miles. It was just awesome.

Wow! What an experience!! That sounds so awesome!!

Well, I was thinking that I might have to get a new sound card. Is there any way to get a list of the sound cards that YaST has? Would it be a concatenate command? Where does YaST look to for such a list? I really wanted to go by this list rather than run a chance in getting a card that is not supported (yet).

Ok, my sound is back!
My hubby made sure the card was back in place and this time, made sure that it was screwed in good. I also had to uncheck the ‘Digital Output Jack’ and that worked. I now have sound! :slight_smile:
The Capture Boost is on and now Audacity records nicely.

Excellent !

How was the shuttle launch ?

The launch went great. My husband managed to get a couple of pictures but they were not the greatest quality. Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day so they only got to see it for a little bit before it was covered by the clouds.

ok, now I have another problem.
Whenever I record from my sound card, all other sounds (background, conversations during recording, etc) are also captured. My husband tried unplugging the mic and now I can’t capture any sound (but my audio works fine.)
In the Alsa Mixer, I have the mic set to 0 for the capture volume and it is muted. I wonder why my system can still be recording from the mic when it has been muted?

Pulse Audio has not been disabled (though I’m thinking of trying it to get the kmix channel controls back – that was recommended previously).

Here’s my info again (in case anything has been changed by updates):

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-emu10k1
# 2+Ni.trsEqNGuZ00:SB0090 Audigy Player
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

rpm -qa '*alsa*'
alsa-devel-1.0.24.1-86.1.x86_64
alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-1492.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-1.0.24.1-4.7.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-oss-1.0.17-32.1.x86_64
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-32.1.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-3.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
alsa-firmware-1.0.24.1-3.1.noarch

rpm -qa '*pulse*'
libpulse-browse0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
libpulse0-32bit-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libpulse0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit-1.0.24-6.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64
libxine1-pulse-1.1.19-4.4.x86_64
pulseaudio-0.9.22-6.11.1.x86_64

rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.24.1-4.7.1.x86_64

rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.24.1-4.7.1.x86_64

this is the latest result of arecord -vv -f cd test.wav :

Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: ALSA <-> PulseAudio PCM I/O Plugin
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 22050
  period_size  : 5512
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 5512
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 22050
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 6206523236469964800
#+                                               | 00%

I had my husband plug the mic back in for now. I wanted to have it handy for when I use Skype (as I said before).

I never had this type of problem before with the older Alsa only setup in 11.2.

Could you have more than one mic ? ie a webcam mic and an input jack mic ?

What is the output of:

arecord -l

here is the result:

arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Audigy [SB Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Audigy [SB Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 1: emu10k1 mic [Mic Capture]
card 0: Audigy [SB Audigy 1 [SB0090]], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]

I only have the one mic, that’s it.

OK, then you say you can no longer record ??

Try recording with the application ‘arecord’. … ie;

arecord -D hw:**0,1** -vv -f cd test0.wav

or

arecord -vv -f cd test1.wav

and then play back test0.wav or test1.wav with a multimedia player.

Note also with pulse audio installed, you can install and run the pulse audio volume control application ‘pavucontrol’ which is very good for adjusting record levels and assigning one’s mic to different applications (and visa versa).

Recording WAVE 'test1.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: ALSA <-> PulseAudio PCM I/O Plugin
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 22050
  period_size  : 5512
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 5512
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 22050
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 6206523236469964800

The song I was playing recorded however, the conversation my son and I were having was recorded also. (Yes, I was able to play it back.) The mic is being used for such recording regardless of what settings I do.

In pavucontrol, there is no control for the mic and the recording tab is blank.
It should not be this way, I should be able to capture what is coming through the sound card without having to do it from the mic. The mic control should be totally separate from the sound card. That is the way it used to be with 11.2. Why did they (the developers) have to tie them both together like this?

btw, the first command,

arecord -D hw:0,1 -vv -f cd test0.wav

recorded but the result was that it played very fast (sounded like a bunch of chipmunks, lol). I was not able to tell if it was using the mic or not because of that.

I did the

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

again so you can see if there’s something wrong. This is the link to the result:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=f9f97111945e2f917bb2f7f1143e4765cf00bed0

So it appears the command

will capture audio through your selected input. That is good.

I can’t help but think you did not configure it (pavucontrol). Sorry. Configuring it should not be all that difficult.

I do not understand what you are trying to do.

When you say you are trying to ‘record’ a song, are you trying to record streaming audio ? Do you have an external audio device connected to the input line of your PC where you are trying to record audio ?

I know, I know, this is all obvious to you, but I’m not smart enough to read between any lines, and you need to repeat again what you are trying to do here, and I’m 'fraid you need to lay it out very simply for me. Especially in such a long thread …

I note this for your Mic:

Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume cvolume penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] -99999.99dB] Capture 86 **[86%]** -5.60dB]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] -99999.99dB] Capture 86 **[86%]** -5.60dB]

It is set at 86% to capture audio, so I am not surprised it is picking up audio. Why did you decide to leave its capture at 86% when you do not plan to record from the mic ?

I didn’t realize it was like that. I thought I had it turned down to 0.

Yes, I’m trying to capture audio from a stream, NOT from the mic. I wonder why if the mic is unplugged, then I cannot record what is coming through the computer’s sound card?
I just tried another experiment with the mic set to 0, and the recording is still picking up everything from the mic, not the sound card. It is acting like the mic was never muted or set to 0.

So, this is what I’m doing: Start Audacity, push its record button, play a video. It shows that it is recording but when I play back the results, all background noise, conversation, etc, is in the recording as well as the audio from the video. If the mic is unplugged, I cannot record what I hear coming from the sound card (as in what you hear from the sound card is what you get). I hope you can understand. If not I’ll try to find a way to explain it better. :frowning:

IMHO this is easiest to do if one is using pulse audio to configure the recording.

Typically do to do this, dependant on the configuration, one needs ‘jack’ or ‘pulse’ installed. I got the impression ( ? ) your removed and then attempted to re-install pulse ? Is that correct ?

That makes sense IF the application you are using is bypassing your mixer settings.

It reads to me that you are only recording what is coming out of the speakers (ie audio from the video plus all room sound). You are NOT recording the internal audio that passes through the sound card.

I think I understand.

Reference pulse audio, please take a look at this thread, post #4 and #5Looking (maybe) for audio mixer for use with Pulse Audio

Now those two posts do NOT do what you ask, but I hope they give you a better indication as to how one sets up pulse audio for recording. FIRST you need to setup the Configuration Menu and Input Device Menu. And you also need to setup the recording menu.

Yeah, recording the internal audio that passes through the sound card is exactly what I want to do.

IF the application you are using is bypassing your mixer settings
Yup, that sounds likely.
I will take a look at the instructions you gave me the link for. I need to learn how to set it up right. Like I said, in pavucontrol the recording tab is blank.

I don’t think I have Jack installed. I wasn’t so sure if that was needed. I just have Pulse Audio and Alsa installed. So I need Jack then?

Please take a look.

When you run ‘arecord’ (this is BEST for testing) it should show up in the recording tab, assuming that the Configuration Menu tab and Input Menu Tab were 1st correctly setup.

You do NOT need Jack. I recommend you do NOT install it. Jack is complex and in contrast Pulse Audio is simple. IMHO if you struggle here with Pulse Audio, then you have no chance with Jack. Hopefully by testing with arecord (to dispel your experience about nothing showing up in record tab in pavucontrol) you can eventually sort what is misconfigured.