Unable to boot due to grub failure (unable to find /boot/grub2/x86_64_EFI/normal.mod)

Hi everybody,

I was, until last Wednesday, the happy user of OpenSuse 13.1, with a KDE desktop (x64). I have a dual-boot with Windows, the two system are on two different partition in the same physical disk.

On Wednesday, after some consistent update (that, I confess, I have not checked) I rebooted the computer. And there started my problems. At the beginning I saw the Grub menu, I was still able to boot on Windows, but if I tried to boot on Suse the booting stopped because the system was unable to mount the data storage partition (a separate partition that I added in etc\fstab and that it was able to mount before). I turn a little bit around the problem, and then, since I have a backup of everything, I just decided to reinstall Suse from scratch.
The installation (13.1 x64) was performed correctly, I chose the same partition schema that the one already present.
When I tried to reboot, I stumbled upon the GRUB menu, but this time the menu suddenly send me to the grub rescue mode because “error: file \boot\GRUB2\x86_64_EFI
ormal.mod not found”.
I am still able to boot windows from the BIOS, but I got the same error message as above if from the BIOS I try to boot Suse.
Since from Windows I’m able to read the partition on which Suse is installed, I check in the grub 2 directory if and where this normal.mod file was present. And i saw that the normal.mod file is in \boot\grub2\i386-pc, and in fact in the grub2 directory there is no /x86_64_EFI/ subdirectory. I read here and there on the forums and I’ve tried to change the location to which GRUB point using the set command:

>set prefix=(hd2,gpt8)\boot\grub2\i386-pc

and then to call insmod normal

The problem is that, after this, I get the same error message, but this time saying “error: file \boot\grub2\i386-pc\x86_64_EFI
ormal.mod not found”, so I guess that I guess that the \x86 part is “embedded” in the file name it is searching, and so just changing the path will not do. Unfortunately, I did not find any information on how to change the filename.

I’m kind of stuck now, and moreover I’m becoming a little jumpy, I don’t dare to try too many thing “at random” since I’m kind of afraid of loosing the possibility of booting in Windows, and that would be definitely not good.

Have you got any idea or tips ?

Thank a lot in advance

I’m not sure of your original problem (the one that persuaded you to reinstall), because you gave too little information.

Your current problem is clearer.

You have a UEFI box. It probably has CSM capabilities (compatibility support module).

You booted the install media using CSM. That is to say, you used traditional MBR style booting. And, as a result, your installed system is setup to boot in the traditional way. But you are now trying to UEFI boot it, using the UEFI definitions left over from the first install.

This is fixable without reinstall. However, in all honesty, you will probably find it easier to reinstall using UEFI booting of the install media.

When you boot the install media, if there are function key options at the bottom of the screen (F1, F2, F3 etc), then you booted the wrong way. If necessary, you can try turning off CSM support in the BIOS before booting install media, though that should normally not be needed.

On my current computer, I can hit F12 during boot and it gives me a list of boot possibilities. If secure-boot is off and CSM is enabled, then it presents two lists - one for UEFI booting and one for Legacy MBR booting. The install media shows up in both.

On another computer, depending on BIOS settings, I might only see the legacy booting option. I normally have the BIOS settings configured to prefer UEFI booting, which solves that problem.