Ultra-newbie question about wireless

Hi,

I’m an ultra-newbie to wireless. Yeah, I know I’m supposed to search and everything before asking, but they all use terms I have no clue what they are talking about. I tried searching, but I’m not even sure what to search for now.

Let me explain what I want and what I have, and could anyone tell me if it’s even possible to do.

I have two computers at home, one desktop and one laptop. I only have one “internet connection” (i.e. I don’t have a router and I connect to the internet using a LAN cable that goes from the wall to my computer)

My desktop ALSO has a wireless card. It’s a ATHEROS AR5413. It has a little antenna coming out. openSuse does detect it and I can configure it and so on. If there was wireless where I live, I think I could connect to the internet using it (but I haven’t tested it though :)).

What I want to do is to connect my laptop using wireless to my computer, and use that to connect to the internet from the laptop.

Is that even possible? I mean, I’m thinking maybe there are such things as “wireless out” and “wireless in” types of cards. I don’t know.

Thanks!
I really appreciate it!
mraggi

Between the laptop and the desktop machine, you will need an ad-hoc link, as
opposed to the managed connection that is used between a computer and a router.
All wireless cards can handle in or out. It only depends on the programming.

As indicated above, what you want is possible; however you will be much happier
if you spend the $40 to get a wireless router. It is a lot easier to set up, and
you get the benefit of not needing the desktop to be on and up in order for the
laptop to connect.

Larry