UK IS NOT A COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Having just noticed my Country on the ambassador list has been changed from England (which is a country) to UK (which is not), I felt I should educate the people who obviously are having difficulty about what a country is.

No other countries are grouped together, why is mine? I hate it when people decide my country is not a country.

I have even spoken to people from other countries who, due to common mistakes such as this, actually think the United Kingdom is a country (god knows what they think England is (a State??!!)).

Regards,
Barry.

What then is UK if not a Country? and why so bothered?

It’s a Kingdom (United Kingdom) United Kingdom - Wikipedia - Err… Not so much -Scotland and Wales went independent.:wink:

For Queen and Country!

If we google this sentence:
What is the difference between England and the United Kingdom
We will find a good explanation to Barry_Nichols argument.:wink:

>
> What then is UK if not a Country? and why so bothered?

Well according to Wikipedia:

“The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy and unitary state
consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and
Wales.”

Putting on my polymorphic hat, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, … :wink:

All hail teh Queen… NOT! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s the same as people claiming to be “Americans”, when they are actually “Central North Americans”, or “United States of Americans” (untisams).

America is a continent, NOT a country, the United Kingdom is the collection of countries which are still part of the realm.

haa! Europe… what a nice contry!!!:wink:

I was doing the crossword in a respectable broadsheet when it asked for a north European country.

The answer was ‘Britain’.

I very nearly wrote in to complain - not because I was affronted as such, but because I’d wasted about two blinking hours trying to think of a north European country which would fit. There weren’t any.

The United Kingdom actually refers to the Union of Great Britain (that is, England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland; Scotland has always had and Northern Ireland has had for some time a different legal system and the Queen is quite separately Queen of Scotland and Queen of England - she even changes Christian denomination when she moves between the two countries.

But, since Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland do not handle their foreign affairs, they are in a similar relationship to the Parliament in London as Sikkim, for example, is to the Parliament in New Delhi.

Currently, the Scottish government is arguing for independence which implies they do not see Scotland as an independent country - which in turn suggests they do not see England, Wales or Scotland as independent countries, more like the states in former Yugoslavia.

Yes but calling ourselves Americans rolls off the tongue better then calling ourselves “Central North Americans”, or “United States of Americans”
And it sounds much better then “USAites” :smiley:

We’ll stop telling you what your country should be called when you stop trying to correct our spelling.

Deal? :stuck_out_tongue:

[P.S. I do have authority to offer to negotiate such a compromise, because there’s only about 150 of us, and we know one another personally. We do also all live in castles, and drink in the same pub…]

I was checking my New Map Of Yurop™ and…

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/Chrysantine/th_neweurope.jpg](http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/Chrysantine/neweurope.jpg)

:open_mouth:
http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/Chrysantine/?action=view&current=neweurope.jpg](http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/Chrysantine/neweurope.jpg)

Not sure Wales is actually a country but a prinicpality, hence its absence from the Union Jack.

lights touchpaper…

England is a state in the EU!
like Ireland, Denmark, Germany…etc etc etc…

or, do you wanna go back to Texas being a country too?

face it, Brussels is the capital of your country, just like Washington
is the capital for the country in which the state of Texas is united…

palladium

Did England and Wales sink into the sea?
And why was Scotland spared?
Or more importantly, why hasn’t France sunk into the sea?
Who needs France anyhow?
:stuck_out_tongue:

The full title is “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland” which is the political entity. Great Britain consists of the countries of England, Wales and Scotland. At one point the UK included the whole of Ireland until the southern Irish states became independent. The history is complex. Scotland, and England were united politically by the Act of Union in 1707 which created a unified parliament. At the time neither the Scots nor the English were particularly keen on this but it was financially expedient for the Scots and politically expedient for the English. For about a hundred years prior to that England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland were ‘unified’ under one crown, the interregnum aside. So for example, King James II of England and Ireland was also King James VII of Scotland (the same person --before he became King–for whom New York is named). During a good part of 17th C. all three Kingdoms were at war or engaged in vicious political struggles. The divisions were as likely to break down around religion as nationality i.e. depending on whether one was Catholic, low or high church Anglican, or Presbyterian, what one believed to be the proper roles of King and God, and whether one was a Jacobite or not. The politics of this period are still very much being played out in Northern Ireland, Scottish devolution, and other matters.

As one might gather from the above, use and misuse of terms can cause offense or worse. For example, use of the term “England” when the entire UK is meant, as in the “government of England” when what is actually meant is the “government of the United Kingdom” often offends Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. Apparently some residents of the provincial area commonly referred to as England are sometimes offended by the use of “UK”.