ugrade from openSUSE 11.0 to 11.1

I have openSUSE 11.0 running on my PowerBook G4/1.33 and would like to upgrade to version 11.1 when it’s released. Can I do this by upgrading over my present installation or would I have to start from scratch? I put a lot of work into getting my present installation into its current state, including extracting firmware for wireless and compilation of several programs that weren’t in the openSUSE PPC depository, and I don’t want to have to do this work over again.

If it is possible to upgrade 11 to 11.1, are there any risks of doing so (e.g., dependency problems)?

Issues encountered in an upgrade is a consequence of how extensive the changes are in the new release vis-a-vis your particular hardware/software setup. In other words, it’s impossible to predict precisely.

If you’ve done something custom with the hardware that the installation will not see, you may have to re-implement or re-configure via YaST. I have wireless firmware I had to copy from Windows and wrap, and in upgrading, it carried forward with no problem. But your experience could differ. All the files should be intact. Just make sure you have a backup of any generic config files you may have modified, in case such a file is over-written.

As far as software you’ve compiled, that again will depend on the software. If there is a kernel module, then definitely it will have to be re-compiled, as is true with any kernel update. It’s conceivable the software is dependent on a library which could be changed, perhaps requiring re-compilation. Sometimes it just depends on how the app was coded.

fwiw, I maintain a mirror of my production SuSE on another partition. I always do a test upgrade on it first, that way I know everything to expect.

Thanks for your reply, mingus. I see that there would be no certainty if I attempt an upgrade and it would be a shame to mess up what I’ve done so far. I like your idea of mirroring your production volume to test the upgrade - how would I do this and with what program? Would the partition I did it on have to be as large as the existing openSUSE partition, or just large enough to cover the amount of space taken up by my existing installation?

Would the partition I did it on have to be as large as the existing openSUSE partition, or just large enough to cover the amount of space taken up by my existing installation?

I’m afraid I don’t follow the question - aren’t those the same thing? In any case . . . I use a single partition 10% larger than root plus home, minus large and/or static user data. For testing an upgrade, you only really need whatever software and files the upgrade will look for. So audio and video and photo files, virtual machine disk files - all such can be excluded.

how would I do this and with what program?

I wrote a script that uses rsync. Fast, powerful, flexible.