ubuntu user

> what is it you wish know ?

which and how many different repos you have active…and, if any are
duplicated…

each different repo requires more time to search out what is new in
relation to what you have

most ‘gurus’ here recommend only four repos…that is documented here
<http://tinyurl.com/6jwtg9> and other places…

if you have more repos your updates will take longer AND you run the
risk of ruining your system…

that, and other good to know stuff is available in the forums, wiki
and documentation…

brassy

hi all thanks for all your help, i have solved my problem, i have decided to ditch opensuse, can’t play all day, have to do some work too

Manfredfischer wrote:
> hi all thanks for all your help, i have solved my problem, i have
> decided to ditch opensuse, can’t play all day, have to do some work too

hope you change you name if/when you come back…'cause Manfredfischer
is going into to my twit filter and do-not-help file–ploink!

brassy

If you don’t have time to play, then why buy a ticket?

I’ve been “playing” with openSUSE (actually, just trying to get it installed, no success yet) for a while, but I make sure I have a usable system to go back to at any time when I need to get something done.

Years of trying to fool around with Linux on our one and only machine, and the storm cloud over my wife’s head when I inform her “I broke something last night, so you can’t use the computer till I can fix it tonight…” kinda gives me incentive to keep our current systems running smoothly. rotfl!

And that doesn’t matter what distro you’re using!

especially thank you to brassy for all the help, “twit” filter indeed, there you go, i like it!! you see i only had the videolan repository enabled, you know just to try it, it crawls along, and then at the end of it it cannot find some lib file or other, please, i like opensuse for nationalistic reasons but, i dont like the way it does not work properly, i am sorry brassy, but, i still love you as a mensch

and to dragonbite, m8, do yourself a favour, and buy another machine, i know this wife thing to well, thank you for trying

I don’t consider that “solving your problem” but I do consider it a very viable and definitely MOST practical approach :slight_smile: Its very important on any PC that one goes with “what works” … Clearly this is not working for you, so I for one would agree with your approach if time limited (ie go for a distro that gives you the speed you need and that you can figure out).

One thing to keep in mind, when you do get some time again, is you can boot to an openSUSE live CD, and then add respoitories while still running the liveCD session, and then try out zypper from that. Check to see if your speed hiccups that you saw with openSUSE (when installed) have gone away when using the liveCD. If they have gone away, then when you get the time, you can consider trying openSUSE again.

Good luck with what ever OS you are using now.

Cheers ! :slight_smile:

ok, ok, folks, don’t be so hard on me, i am giving it another try, thanks for your persistance

If you’re really interested in pursuing it now not being an ubuntu user and never have been I only have Ken’s comments to go on.

But I do know there is mention of a download all first in feature request, now perhaps this is a perceived difference(Not sure whether this is similar or not in ubuntu). Then the other thing just in case the mirror selector is choosing a mirror that is less than desirable use a specific one to rule it out first. I say this as where I’m from just trying the 2 different mirrors.

openSUSE Download Mirrors - Overview

The first one seems terrible slow but I never did find the mirror :wink: and could be related to page content.

I have to agree that rpm is slower than deb - in my experience. But I have found that once a system is up and running it isn’t a problem - particularly as it’s often more than compensated for by using patches (aka deltas) instead of complete binaries.

Zypper/Usage/11.1 - openSUSE

Hi there,
I had similar issues,

I changed my default mirrors to

http://opensuse.mirror.ac.za/opensuse/

Now it’s Rocking and Rolling.

Karl
lol!