Ubuntu/Mint, versus openSUSE

I was using openSUSE, then went to Mint. Before I had to tinker with all sorts of settings, and things to get wireless internet to work. Ubuntu just detected what drivers I needed & its simply got my wireless to work all on its’ own.

Is 11.3 similar? I want to move back to openSUSE, but I don’t want to tinker with this. I want to use my time on the computer for more productive things.

Thanks allot.

What kind of things do you have to tinker with in openSUSE to get your wireless working?

I think this post will be better under the “Wireless” category - not “Network/Internet”

Depends on the hardware. For some broadcom cards you will need a driver from Packman. Other than that I haven’t met real problems with wifi support in my work with 11.3

Thanks Knurpht for the info. My laptop and netbook work out of the box with wireless and I didn’t know that some broadcom cards require a driver from packman

Do you do anything that’s near the edge?
For several years OpenSuSE enjoyed a reputation of including things which were close to unstable which benefited the person who wanted to or needed to deploy something very new. OpenSuSE was one of the first to integrate technologies like Xen, Mono, and integration with Active Directory (even before the Novell/Microsoft agreement).

Ubuntu on the other hand has a reputation of “it just works” – In many ways similar to Microsoft Windows. And, that is probably the main reason why it’s the most popular Linux distro. To the User, it’s likely the most stable platform to run the applications in its repository. But, that stability will mean that it might be more difficult to do something that’s not completely mainstream.

Those are just generalities though… Because of its popularity, many apps, projects and products seem to be exerting extra effort to deploy by default on Debian/Ubuntu so even some “on the edge” products out there can be found on it.

HTH,
Tony

Worked immediately on 3G wireless moden using Network Manager on Gnome…much more stable than it was under Windows…my daughter, who is not technical loves SUSE!

I have learnt hard way this “if it is not broken, dont fix it”. Trust me, dont learn it yourself if you dont need to. (unless you dont have anything on your hard disks worth keeping, and it is not your work-dependant machine)

If your Mint is working fine, there is absolutely no reason to switch to openSUSE fully and immediately. Try running it in virtual machine, get familiar with it etc. Then if you run in problems, would be easier to get through it.
BTW, Mint is my favorite non-opensuse distro and I cannot say anything but good things. When I ran out of luck with openSUSE 11.1, I used it till 11.2 came out.

So, once again, dont fix what is not broken.

I have learnt hard way this “if it is not broken, dont fix it”. Trust me, dont learn it yourself if you dont need to. (unless you dont have anything on your hard disks worth keeping, and it is not your work-dependant machine)

If your Mint is working fine, there is absolutely no reason to switch to openSUSE fully and immediately. Try running it in virtual machine, get familiar with it etc. Then if you run in problems, would be easier to get through it.
BTW, Mint is my favorite non-opensuse distro and I cannot say anything but good things. When I ran out of luck with openSUSE 11.1, I used it till 11.2 came out.

So, once again, dont fix what is not broken.