Ubuntu in the news.. in a negative light

I actually changed to opensuse because of ubuntu fails, it is horrible that having a good computer , you can’t install drivers without crashing xorg…

Hey, I have the last version, is there a way to upgrade to 11.3 when it arrives?

I liked ubuntu, because of de easyness, but later I discovered, that the easyness is the new hard =S…

Just found this thread. I could not agree more with these statements. I hate to see any Linux distro in a negative light. We have seen enough of it here with openSUSE to know how it feels. I wouldn’t wish it on any other distribution. I don’t care who they are.:frowning:

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one with all that stupid **** with “Boycott Novell” where some guy made a website that took statments made by Novell and Microsoft way out of context.

Now, Ubuntu makes one bad release and everyone is upset. So what?! Everyone makes mistakes, and this will probably be cleared up with the 10.04 release, since it is an LTS release. I doubt that they would flub on something that important. Canoncial still has to answer to its customers. Even openSUSE has had a couple bad releases in the recent past. I think this is forgivable.

As for the direction of Ubuntu – I’m not fond of it either, and I probably won’t be using it much after I switch to openSUSE 11.2 on my laptop (assuming it works and I don’t have to switch back). I think Canoncial has made a lot of mistakes. Something tells me that Ubuntu is just the latest fad, and not a long term trend. I doubt we will ever see a long-term winner in a “distro war” (that’s a bad way of looking at it). Instead we will see certain distro fade in and out of the #1 spot.

What I would like to see is the distros go back from using a monolithic, scheduled release to using a “when it’s done” philosophy and giving people the options of have well crafted updates and backports (for example if you have Firfox 3.0 and Firefox 3.5 is known stable and doesn’t cause problems, allow the user to upgrade if it doesn’t break anything).

Quoted for truth!

I really hope more people realize this. It is the reason why several years ago decided to completely make the switch to Linux. I have never regretted that choice. Ever!

I said I was sorry… So why isn’t anyone forgiving me for offending Ubuntu ?? (;)) I feel differently towards Ubuntu now. But that won’t make me abandon openSUSE for it. I love green desktops. (Though right now I have a black-looking desktop background, and it’s making Suse look like a black gecko. A pleasant change.) :slight_smile:

Ubuntu is having some real setbacks right now. This is coming from me.
The Devs removed GIMP from default install. They keep insisting PulseAudio must be default install even tho they can not seem to implement it correctly. The default look has got worse. IMHO SuSE 5.0 was more advanced and better looking then Ubuntu Karmic is now.

IMHO, the Ubutard Devs need some serious direction. They honestly have to many hands in the cookie jar.

I have completely left Ubuntu all together. Since I prefer Debian based LinuxOS I now run straight Debian.

Have just moved back to suse from kubuntu 64 bit (which worked perfectly since I installed it when it went beta.
I seem to remember that when I moved to kubuntu Because of the zypper/bugs and general un-usability of 10.1) There was a disclaimer on the website stating that if you needed stability use the lts versions as the 6.mth versions were development versions and may be unstable/contain bugs.
They should put this back and in capital letters as more people are now trying linux for the first time.

Oh and moved back because amarock in suse still has shoutcast, And am able to use the 0.8 version of kaffeine.(kubuntu refuses to let me install it.)
Oh and i can get rid of that &%£%$$$ cashew.

And a quick thanks to the devs for the import mount points,Its a brilliant feature.