Two partitions starting at 1?

So I’m a noob and i’m trying to get 4 OSes on my system to multiboot. As of now i’ve got all four on the drive but can only boot to two. (XP and Suse) I was hoping when i installed Suse last, That it would pick up my other installs and put them in grub and it would boot them no problem. So much for that, Like i said - my ubuntu partition and my vista partition are unable to be booted from.

When i try to boot Ubuntu i get error 15, and when i try and boot vista, i get ntldr missing.

What’s really puzzling me is that there are two partitions starting at 1. sda1 and sda5

According to boot problem SOP here are my configs.

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x227e5ff2

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 1 3040 24418768+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 6552 37701 250212375 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 37702 60800 185542717+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 * 3041 6551 28202107+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 1 2918 23438772 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 2919 3040 979933+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Apr 3 21:16:31 CDT 2009

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,3)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.1
root (hd0,3)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AACS-00G8B1_WD-WCAUF1579546-part4 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AACS-00G8B1_WD-WCAUF1579546-part6 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (/dev/sda5)###
title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (/dev/sda5)
root (hd0,4)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
title windows 1
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 2###
title windows 2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
rootnoverify (fd0)
chainloader +1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.1
root (hd0,3)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AACS-00G8B1_WD-WCAUF1579546-part4 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe
initrd /boot/initrd

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier:Original name: linux###title Kernel-2.6.27.7-9-pae
root (hd0,3)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.7-9-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AACS-00G8B1_WD-WCAUF1579546-part4 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AACS-00G8B1_WD-WCAUF1579546-part6 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.7-9-pae

/dev/sda1 1 3040 24418768+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 6552 37701 250212375 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 37702 60800 185542717+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 * 3041 6551 28202107+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 1 2918 23438772 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 2919 3040 979933+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

sda1 is an extended partition and contains the following in order:
sda5
sda6

Then you have partitions in the following order:
sda4 (*=bootable flag)
sda2
sda3

To be honest I have never seen such a messy partition table. Sorry. And I’m not quite sure how you ended up with windows NOT being on the First partition. You need to identify what partitions suse and ubuntu are using. And you could do with a partition Guru - which I am not.
If this were mine, I would wipe the lot. But it may be possible to sort a solution, I’m just not sure what it is.
But I can tell you windows normally insists on have the first partition, one reason why we always recommend installing windows first. (ntdlr - google it) And you will see it is needed to boot windows and it sounds like yours is damaged. Repair is to do fixmbr from the xp cd, but then you need to re-install grub.

Some help here
GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.

I’m trying to decipher your partitioning. So three questions please, to help me:

1. Which one works in the Grub boot menu for booting windows xp, the one labelled windows 1 or the one labelled windows 2?
  2. Is xp on the first NTFS partition and vista on the second (or what)?
  3. Is there a windows boot menu that you get to from a Grub/Linux entry and does that windows menu have two entries, one for vista and one for xp?

This is an option for me as I would like the most clean and stable setup of partitions for the 4 operating systems I want operating on this drive. I know exactly what I want to do but, being a noob, I guess I get somewhat confused partitioning the drive for the OSes.

So, If I were to wipe the drive and start over (once again), this is how I’d like to do it.

Start with Main WD 500 GB HDD (formats to ~465GB)
Give Windows Vista 64 Ultimate 255 GB (It’s my main OS)
Give Windows XP Pro 32 150
Give OpenSuSe 11.1 25 GB
Give Ubuntu 25 GB
Leave 10 GB open, a “just in case Future” drive for another OS I might want to try out.

So I ask what would be the best way of doing this. I’ve read several guides and got advice from multi-booting friends but you see where that got me. Specifically, things that I get confused about are primary/logical drives and exactly what OSes need them. When installing Linux, the partition section wants to make different partitions (native, swap, extended) (which gets confusing when installing two different linux OSes). I can dual-boot Xp and Vista but as soon as linux gets involved, boot gets confused.

Thanks for any help concerning this method.

1. Windows 1 (being windows XP) boots
  2. Vista is actually on the first partition (/dev/sda2 6552 37701 250212375 7 HPFS/NTFS) and XP is second(
    /dev/sda3 37702 60800 185542717+ 7 HPFS/NTFS)
  3. Yes, when attempting to boot windows vista, it goes to windows boot manager where only Ubuntu and Vista(Longhorn) are listed, both of which do not boot when selected.

Thanks for all the help!

This is an option for me as I would like the most clean and stable setup
I think you should reinstall everything. Order: windows xp, vista, Ubuntu, openSUSE.

The installation CDs/DVDs for windows allow you to select the partition sizes for xp and vista at the time of installation. Choose sizes at that time.
[Linux partitioners are OK to resize an xp partition. But never allow a Linux partitioner to resize a vista partition; that can wreck your partition structure]

Most likely caf4926 will have more to say about the partitioning.

I’m not sure of the value of both Vista and XP? If you have 2GB+ RAM go for Vista and take out the memory eating rubbish.

Partitioning can be done so many ways and I would just say use windows disk to create the windows partitions and Linux for Linux.

This may assist
Partitioning/Install Guide - openSUSE Forums

One of the values of both vista and xp are compatibility issues. Although most drivers are now working for Vista there are still some issues that occur now and then.

I for one use Xp in VirtualBox because my ancient Sony MD player’s software wouldn’t install right on my Vista partition even when compatibility for xp was selected and Wine doesn’t handle it well at all. With usb support, VirtualBox and Windows XP handled it no problem.

Ian

Sorry for the delayed response, I’m in the service and have been out of town and away from the web.

Anyhow,I Gotta Admit, having read all this stuff I’m going to go this route. I think it would make better sense of my partition table and it would get windows on the first partition. I’ll report back with my results. Thanks for all of your inputs. this is a great forum , keep it up!

I agree with you boy:\

So, I wiped the drive and reinstalled all OSes in this order: XP (150 GB), Vista(250 Gb), Ubuntu(30 GB), OpenSuse(35 GB). After Vista installed, I could boot either Vista or XP using the Windows Boot Manager. After Ubuntu installed, I could boot Ubuntu, Vista and XP all from GRUB. Now, after I installed OpenSuse 11.1, GRUB would boot OpenSuse, Vista and XP BUT NOT UBUNTU. “error 15:file not found” is displayed upon trying to boot Ubuntu from Suse’s GRUB (which is beautiful btw).

Anybody know the fix(es)? Thanks in advance

P.s.-Installing in this order really helped a lot of things. It’s cleaner and OSes actually boot. Thanks for the input on the install order.

Post your /boot/grub/menu.lst

and open a terminal and go su and do:

fdisk -l

(post the result)

tell us which partition is ubuntu

If you can also find your ubuntu menu.lst (is ubuntu’s file sys the same?) that would be helpful
(It should be possible to read that partition as su

There are two key files for getting Linux up from the boot. They’re initrd and vmlinuz. In Suse these are in the directory “/boot”. In Ubu they’re one level higher IIRC, in the directory “/”.

I’d try to edit Suse’s menu file for Grub, menu.lst, and alter the entry for Ubuntu like this:
It will be something like your last posted one:

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (/dev/sda5)###
root (hd0,4)
But perhaps with different partitions now which would perhaps mean differences for (hd0,4) and sda5. You could edit the file menu.lst with a superuser text editor activated with this console command:
If using Gnome its: gnomesu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
If using KDE its: kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then you can change this:

root (hd0,4)

to this

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (/dev/sda5)###
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd
#configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

But just before you do that, I’d suggest we see the new Suse menu.lst file as caf4926 requested.