Two monitor are not working correctly

Try to increase the font DPI setting in “Configure Desktop”->“Application Appearance”->“Fonts”. Enable “Force fonts DPI” and experiment with the values.
Maybe boot to recovery mode to do it if you can’t read the fonts.

Or you could also override the screen’s DPI values in xorg.conf. Maybe the nvidia control panel allows to do that, I don’t know.

Thanks wolfi, I think that has solved the problem!

Just one quick question about font sizes. The smallest size I can pick is 4 but that’s still a little too big, is there no way to lower that to 3?

Apparently not.
But why would you want to?

Just change the DPI value (Decrease it if the fonts are too big). That affects all fonts.
And increase the ones in size that are still too small then.

Is openSUSE broken and buggy?

Can you tell me please what text file I can edit (and where it is) because these fonts are starting to make regret ever trying linux.

Also could you post the exact line of text in that file that sets the size of the font so I can (hopefully) do a search for it and change it because manually going through the file with fonts so big only two letters can fit on-screen is not going to happen.

Edit: Every time I boot up into linux either my fonts are microscopic or they are abolutely massive. I think my computer is not displaying fonts at the correct size. They defaulted to 9 I think, but that displayed far too small on my monitor so I had to increase it a lot to like 30, which displayed way too small and looked like the default text size. When I rebooted, my computer somehow starts showing fonts at the right size and so I now have fonts so big I can’t use the OS anymore. If I could set them back to normal, when I reboot I expect them to be microscopic again…

Not AFAICT. It works fine here.

Can you tell me please what text file I can edit (and where it is) because these fonts are starting to make regret ever trying linux.

Also could you post the exact line of text in that file that sets the size of the font so I can (hopefully) do a search for it and change it because manually going through the file with fonts so big only two letters can fit on-screen is not going to happen.

What do you want?

I already told you, change the DPI to a bigger value and the fonts get bigger (all of them), take a smaller value and they get smaller. You can think of this as a global zoom factor for all fonts.

If specific fonts are too big or too small, you have to change them accordingly, either in KDE’s fonts settings or in the application itself.

The KDE fonts settings are stored in ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals. I cannot tell you the exact line, since that differs according to your configuration. Just search for the font name.

The “Force Fonts DPI” setting is stored in ~/.kde4/share/config/kcmfonts, and this is about the only setting in that file.

You can just remove those files (especially the latter one) and everything should be back to default.

Please note that you may have to logout/login for those settings to have full effect, especially the DPI.

The GUI is completely unusable. Could you tell me how to boot into text mode and can you tell me what to type to delete the file ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals.

Either add 3 to the boot options, by pressing ‘e’ at the boot menu, search for the line starting with “linux” and append the number 3 there, then press F10 to boot.
Or press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace in KDE twice to get to the login screen.
Then either click on the wrench symbol and select “IceWM” to get to a different DE, or click on the other symbol (the “on/off” button) and select “Enter Textmode” or similar. Or just press Ctrl+Alt+F1 in KDE.

Type this to remove both files:

rm ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals ~/.kde4/share/config/kcmfonts

Or, if you want to just rename kdeglobals (there are other settings in there as well), type:

mv ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals.bak

Deleting those files made no difference at all, my text is far too small then far too large. Now my boot menu screen doesn’t even display so I have to spend ages randomly pressing up and down and enter until I manage to get back into Windows.

Can you tell me please how to completely remove SUSE and restore the boot functionality of Windows?

If I install another distro (after deleting the suse partitions) that should install and (duel) boot fine right?

What now, far too small or far too large?
I don’t follow you anymore, sorry.

What changes did you make?

I never advised anything that could change the boot screen.

Can you tell me please how to completely remove SUSE and restore the boot functionality of Windows?

Reinstall Windows.
Sorry, this is the only advise I can give with the information I have.

What’s the problem, actually?
Do you get no boot menu anymore, and openSUSE boots instantly?
Then you may have hit this bug:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=856391
In that case, try to enter a different session or text mode as explained before, and remove the file /boot/grub2/grubenv .

Yes, probably.

If it will install and dual boot fine would depend on the distro I suppose.

The text alternates between being tiny and massive after every reboot.

All I did was run the command to delete those two files.

After I deleted those files I was trying to restart the computer, not easy when the font is microscopic and you don’t remember what the icons looked like, I clicked on what I thought was restart (it had the yellow icon), then that small window appeared in the middle of the screen with the chosen option selected, I clicked on it (what would normally say “restart” next to the yellow icon) thinking it would just restart but a list actually appeared beneath it (which was unreadable due to tinyness). I don’t know if that was restart or not, but I think I clicked the top item in the list and it seemed to reboot. That’s when the boot menu didn’t display for the first time.

Also, if it’s relevant, I removed a DVD drive from the computer.

No the boot menu is still there, but I don’t see it, my monitor isn’t receiving a signal, As though it’s displaying in an unsupported format. I have to press down twice then enter to go into windows if I happen to do it at the right time as I can’t tell when the boot menu has appeared. Also I usually have like my motherboard logo screen appearing right after rebooting, the screen with “press delete to enter bios”. That’s gone too :confused:

No the boot menu is still there, but I don’t see it, my monitor isn’t receiving a signal, As though it’s displaying in an unsupported format. I have to press down twice then enter to go into windows if I happen to do it at the right time as I can’t tell when the boot menu has appeared. Also I usually have like my motherboard logo screen appearing right after rebooting, the screen with “press delete to enter bios”. That’s gone too :confused:

If you’re not even getting a BIOS display, then perhaps you have a display hardware issue.

I think I should wait until I put my DVD drive back in to eliminate that. I don’t see how that could be it but, I literally haven’t done anything except take out that drive.

That’s strange.
But have you ever tried to just disconnect one of the two monitors?

Maybe the problem is that one monitor is the primary one, and on the next boot the other one?
They do have different sizes I guess?

After I deleted those files I was trying to restart the computer, not easy when the font is microscopic and you don’t remember what the icons looked like, I clicked on what I thought was restart (it had the yellow icon), then that small window appeared in the middle of the screen with the chosen option selected, I clicked on it (what would normally say “restart” next to the yellow icon) thinking it would just restart but a list actually appeared beneath it (which was unreadable due to tinyness). I don’t know if that was restart or not, but I think I clicked the top item in the list and it seemed to reboot. That’s when the boot menu didn’t display for the first time.

Well, I guess you selected “Hibernate” by mistake, that’s why the boot menu doesn’t show anymore.
That would also explain why you do not get the BIOS display any more.

Also, if it’s relevant, I removed a DVD drive from the computer.

Shouldn’t make a difference.

Well, again, what happens if you press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice? Do you get a login screen then on any of your monitors?
Or press Ctrl+Alt+F1, do you get to a text mode, which is readable?

Hi,
To the OP your situation with your display sounds strange.
Maybe while solving your issue don;t force the second monitor which is the t.v.
Use the default monitor. With the nvidia-settings, I noticed that it is not working
properly with kscreen2. If you can perhaps boot again to openSUSE using another
option like ‘recovery mode’ and will give you a descent font that is readable, try
to disable the kscreen2 in systemsettings-Startup and ShutdownSservice Manager-Startup Services
and the kscreen2 in Desktop Effects-All Effects.
Doing the above rely on the nvidia-settings in configuring your two monitors.

Here I am using three monitors an hp, viewsonic and samsung t.v.
In the nvidia-settings my default is the hp but with the kde display it keeps on
changing it to the viewsonic.

Disconnecting my TV makes no difference.

Both displays are 1080p 60hz.

If I press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE I get to the login screen and can change to IceWM, but the fonts are still humongous. I didn’t actually try to get into text mode (I forgot to try that) but text mode has always been readable, the fonts there never change size.

I figured out what was happening. Turns out if my TV is connected to the computer even if its on standby it will become the primary display at boot up. All output goes to the TV and the monitor get nothing, not even a signal. So I just need to make sure the TV is only connected when needed (or unless it’s turned on I suppose).

Recovery mode also is unreadable.

The fonts are being displayed in the wrong size, eg, the default is 9, but I don’t see size 9 text at the right size, its tiny, so I enlarge it so that it looks normal, but this goes up to about 30, which technically is gigantic text but it looks like size 9 until I reboot, then the text displays at the real size 30 and two letters take up the whole screen, but when the text is too large, the gui is unusable and I can’t make it smaller.

Is there anything left to try lol?

The font changes have no effect for already running programs, but KDE’s font settings should warn you about that.

And the KDE font settings should have absolutely no effect for IceWM.

But IMHO this really sounds like a DPI issue.
FYI the DPI value is by default calculated from the monitor size (as reported by the monitor) and the screen resolution. The intention is, that a 9 point font is 9 points tall, regardless of the monitor (1 point=1/72 inch).
If the monitor reports incorrect values, the fonts (and probably other parts of the desktop) are too big or too small. That’s why you can override the DPI setting.
As I already mentioned, you might be able to force a general DPI value in nvidia-settings, but I don’t have that installed so cannot check (Radeon card here).
It’s definitely configurable in xorg.conf.

What does the following command report?
xdpyinfo | grep -e resolution -e dimensions

Btw, you should be able to set the primary display in “Configure Desktop”->“Display and Monitor” or in nvidia-settings.
But as conram wrote, you might have to disable kscreen if you want to use nvidia-settings. Should not be necessary for IceWM f.e. though.

Maybe upload your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://susepaste.org and post a link.

calvin@linux-kmee:~> xdpyinfo | grep -e resolution -e dimensions   
dimensions:    1920x1080 pixels (160x90 millimeters)   resolution:    305x305 dots per inch

Where can I find “Configure Desktop”?

Here’s the link.