Tutorial Request: Installing a driver at the time of OS installation

Is it possible to install a video driver at the time of the installation of the operating system?
I have made multiple installation attempts using the various 11.4 x64 live & non-live versions.
As soon as I get past the splash screen with the boot options, the display becomes corrupt & continuing is impossible.
I have attempted using the various video options under the F6 menu (text mode, vesa, safe mode) without success.
I am reasonably certain it is a failure of the video driver. I have observed the identical behaviour while installing MS Windows with the incorrect video driver.
The video chipset manufacturer does provide a linux driver on their website. It is a .run file
If someone could provide step-by-step instructions (read:newbie) to accomplish this, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have the .run file on a USB stick along with the OS files. This is a link to the hardware platform I am attempting to install to.

P.S. Is it possible that my video chipset has insufficient video memory?

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 00:56:03 +0000, TelinitZero wrote:

> Is it possible to install a video driver at the time of the installation
> of the operating system?
> I have made multiple installation attempts using the various 11.4 x64
> live & non-live versions.
> As soon as I get past the splash screen with the boot options, the
> display becomes corrupt & continuing is impossible. I have attempted
> using the various video options under the F6 menu (text mode, vesa, safe
> mode) without success. I am reasonably certain it is a failure of the
> video driver. I have observed the identical behaviour while installing
> MS Windows with the incorrect video driver.
> The video chipset manufacturer does provide a linux driver on their
> website. It is a .run file
> If someone could provide step-by-step instructions (read:newbie) to
> accomplish this, it would be greatly appreciated. I have the .run file
> on a USB stick along with the OS files. ‘This is a link to the hardware
> platform I am attempting to install to.’ (http://tinyurl.com/3pajh65)
>
> P.S. Is it possible that my video chipset has insufficient video memory?

There are several threads here that suggest using the “nomodeset” option
during startup to get the installation going.

There are also several tutorials on installing the drivers for various
video cards (ATI and nVidia, being the most popular, have the most
detailed tutorials). You might wish to review the appropriate one to
your hardware.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Thank you Jim for your very expedient reply. In response to your question about the nomodeset option, I have attempted that option at boot time as well as nosplash & noacpi. Unfortunately the result was the same.

If I may impose upon you once more, could you please provide a link to one of these tutorials? I can’t seem to find them using the search box.

It is sincerely appreciated.

On 2011-08-05 02:56, TelinitZero wrote:

> As soon as I get past the splash screen with the boot options, the
> display becomes corrupt & continuing is impossible.

If this is true and the several instructions do not help, report as bug in
bugzilla.

Or test the factory version.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thank you for your reply Carlos.

I think I may have discovered the reason for the video corruption. According to this SDB article, I have an ATI/AMD declared legacy card where the old Catalyst 9.3 driver will not support recent versions of the Linux kernel or Xorg. My video chipset (ATI R485M - aka ATI Radeon 1150 Xpress series) uses this driver as listed in this article posted on the AMD support website.

The SDB article also states that my specific video chipset is not included in the Radeon open source Xorg driver for ATI Radeon cards. I also can not use the fglrx driver as this SDB article states Fglrx does not work with anything below the Radeon HD 2000 series.

I also attempted the troubleshooting methods in this SDB article as well. The resolutions that do not require an installed system were unsuccessful.

Have I missed anything? Is it still appropriate to submit this issue to bugzilla? If so, could I get your assistance to do so correctly? I have never submitted anything to bugzilla before.

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 01:26:02 +0000, TelinitZero wrote:

> Thank you Jim for your very expedient reply. In response to your
> question about the nomodeset option, I have attempted that option at
> boot time as well as nosplash & noacpi. Unfortunately the result was the
> same.
>
> If I may impose upon you once more, could you please provide a link to
> one of these tutorials? I can’t seem to find them using the search box.
>
> It is sincerely appreciated.

What specific hardware are you using? You didn’t specify in your
message, so I’m having to guess…

Specific information will help us direct you to the appropriate place.

Jim

Jim Henderson

You should be able to perform a text mode installation?
Then even if the post install reboot doesn’t present a UI, you could reboot proper but only to level 3, to let the config run. Once that’s done, you can login at the prompt, switch to su -
Start yast
From there you can manage ATI driver from the community list in the repo manager…etc/

Did you try the boot option ‘x11failsafe’ ? Try that by itself, and also try that together with ‘nomodeset’ …

Its possible you need to try a combination of options … ie try the VESA and ‘nomodeset’ or try the TEXT and ‘nomodeset’. Both the VESA driver and FBDEV driver should work with the X1150.

When you say ‘as soon as you get by the splash screen with the boot options’ is this when 1st booting the installation DVD (or CD) ? or is this after 1st installing ?

On 2011-08-05 06:11, Jim Henderson wrote:
> What specific hardware are you using? You didn’t specify in your
> message, so I’m having to guess…

In the reply to my post you find that info.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2011-08-05 04:56, TelinitZero wrote:
>
> Thank you for your reply Carlos.
>
> I think I may have discovered the reason for the video corruption.
> ‘According to this SDB article’

Very unfortunate.

You will have to wait for responses from the people that know about those
video cards, I don’t know much. Yes, you can fill a bugzilla, but I’m not
sure if they will be able to do much. Perhaps yes, I don’t know.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

This is a link to the complete listing of all hardware in the machine I am attempting to install to

In regard to my reply to Carlos in conversation # 5 of this thread, do you suspect there is an overarching issue regarding my video chipset?

Thank you Caf for your reply.

Sometimes (if I am lucky) it appears to start at run level 5. I did previously attempt to install a driver using YaSt from the command line, but an error message was received. As I recall, it was either a network failure or the repository could not be found.

I will re-attempt this procedure & post the error verbatim.

I would also like to ask you in regard to my reply to Carlos in conversation # 5 of this thread:

1. Do you suspect there is an overarching issue regarding my video chipset?
  2. Can it be overcome?

Thank you oldcpu for your reply.

I did not try the option you have suggested. I will do so.

This happens when 1st booting the the installation media (USB & CD, live & non-live). I am unable to accomplish an installed system at this time.

I would also like to hear your opinion on the question I have posed to the other posters:
In regard to my reply to Carlos in conversation # 5 of this thread:

1. Do you suspect there is an overarching issue regarding my video chipset?
  2. Can it be overcome?

Support for the ATI R485M - aka ATI Radeon 1150 Xpress series is not great, but never the less it should work, with the ‘nomodeset’ and ‘x11failsafe’ boot codes.

I am more suspicious of a bad installation CD/DVD and suspicious of the applied download and/burning methods.

I put nomodeset & x11failsafe on the boot option command line. I received a lengthy error dump. Is there a way I can capture it so I can post? If not, I will take a picture with my digital camera.

Video or digital camera may be the easiest.

I’m still very suspicious of your download/burning methods and think the installation dvd could be bad. What can you tell us about your method for :

1. downloading (what app ) ?
  2. checking the md5sum of the downloaded iso file ?
  3. burning to what media ? +RW ? no-name bargain basement brand ?
  4. burning to what speed ?
  5. burning on what burner (same PC burner ? newer PC burner ? older PC burner ? )

Also, it could even be the CD/DVD reader on your current PC is not so good.

Fracking batteries in my camera died! I have to go out & get some more. I will post pictures as soon as I get back. In response to your questions:

1. I have downloaded using 2 different methods, direct http download & the pendrive linux universal usb installer from ubuntu.com
  2. I attempted to check the md5sum of the downloaded file but the display failure prevented verifcation. I will try it again on my other computer (which has a different video card)
  3. I used 2 types of installation media (pendrive linux universal usb installer & CD). The CD is Memorex DVD-R. The USB stick is an 8 GB Patriot XT.
  4. I used Nero Smart Start Essentials to burn the CD from the direct http downloaded iso file. It reported the burn process successful at 4x.
  5. I have used 2 different optical drives for burning. The drive in the target machine is reported as an Optiarc DVD ± RW AD 5540A. The drive in the non target machine is reported as an ATAPI iHAS124 A ATA device.
  6. The target machine was purchased in 2006, follow this link for specs. The non target machine was purchased on cyber monday approximately 3 years ago. It was a great deal;)

You need to do this. I must download ~100 GNU/Linux versions a year, and I will NEVER burn one to liveCD without FIRST confirming via the md5sum that the download was good. All one needs is ONE bad download followed by a burn without checking, to lose the time taken to check ~100 times.

So always check.

I don’t think much of their DVDs (prefer the quality of VERBATIM) but despite my opinion, its unlikely IMHO that is the cause.

How confident are you that this 6 year old device is good? I’ve seen one’s younger than that fail. And when they fail its not an all or nothing fail. Its a gradual bad read here, bad read there, bad partial burn here, bad partial burn there …

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 15:46:04 +0000, TelinitZero wrote:

> ‘This is a link to the complete listing of all hardware in the machine I
> am attempting to install to’ (http://tinyurl.com/3pajh65)

Just for future reference, it’s generally better to include the hardware
in the post in case the link changes - that way people who have a similar
setup in the future will be able to reference/find the thread and
solutions suggested.

> In regard to my reply to Carlos in conversation # 5 of this thread, do
> you suspect there is an overarching issue regarding my video chipset?

Looks like you’re on the way with oldcpu’s and caf’s help now, I would
just caution against jumping to conclusions prematurely. I don’t suspect
anything in the chipset as yet because there’s nothing to suggest that’s
the source of the problem at this stage.

Jim

Jim Henderson

Just got back with the batteries. Some interesting developments. I burned a new disc & this time told it to verify the data. Whole blocks of data were unreadable. I am going to try again.

I am confident the target machine is good. It will install the latest version of Ubuntu successfully. Before anybody replies that I should stick with what is working :wink: please be advised that I can not. The instructor for my upcoming college course uses Open Suse & therefore I must use it as well.

Edit: I have now burned a new disc & the data verification completed successfully. The md5 checksum was also successful on the non-target computer. I will now attempt to install again.