Turning CPU governor to performance

I noticed that my frame rate drops on some Source Games can be due to the CPU Governor scaling my CPU to “on-demand”, meaning after a few minutes it bugs and causes my fps to go from 150 to 10.
On Ubuntu I tested something called Jupiter but it’s discontinued. What are the options on openSUSE?

openSUSE 12.3 x64 - KDE
Athlon II X2 250 @3.6GHz
NVIDIA 9800GT
1TB
ASRock n68 VS3-UCC

did you try this in the past https://forums.opensuse.org/content/122-c-f-u-cpu-frequency-utilitiy-version-1-10-use-cpufrequtils-package.html

It works but I’m still getting frame rate drop issues. I’m starting to consider it’s a video driver bug.

For nVIDIA info, have a look here: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Is there a difference between the Easy and the Hard way? The bug I refer happens on every driver (304, 310, 313, 319) and on every distro as well. After a few minutes or seconds) my framerates drop from 150 to 10. It only happens on Linux.

In general, no matter how the proprietary nVIDIA video driver gets loaded, it would likely be the same. I did not see that this was the driver you are referring to. In such a case, it may be time to upgrade the video hardware to something newer.

Thank You,

I don’t see why a hardware upgrade is the only option, we’re on Linux goddammit! So should I buy a new card just becase Steam/Nvidia don’t support everything at an “OK” level? :open_mouth:

We’re on freaking 2013 and still having driver issues!

So we don’t make the hardware or the proprietary video driver or its support. The nVIDIA 9800 had a good run, but at five years old or so, they just do not last for ever and all hardware can fail over time. Perhaps its a cooling issue, have you blasted out the heat sinks and is the cooling fan work properly? I owned one of these myself for several years, but I have seen issues with the 9000 series ever since kernel 3.7 came out. You can try a newer kernel, up to 3.9.4 to see if it might help, but in the end, I am not sure what more help we can offer up here.

openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

It is my opinion I would skip kernel 3.7 and jump to 3.9 before I made any other move on the subject (and made sure the heat sinks are clean and the fan is running good.).

Thank You for using openSUSE,