tunnel over SSH from OpenSuse to Windoze

Linux rookie here…

I have seen a lot of posts on the forums for tunneling SSH TO an OpenSuse box,but I need to go FROM an OpenSuse 11.1 box to a Windows 2003 server box running SSH. I have the connection set up fine (I can establish an SSH connection), but how do I tunnel other apps (ie. RDP or VNC) over that connection from my Suse box to my Windows box?

Any help or words of wisdom are appreciated.

Linux HOWTOs and Tutorials: Suse Linux 10.0, 10.1 openSUSE 10.2, 10.3, 11.0, 11.1

HOWTOs - openSUSE

while I appreciate the links, all I can see they mention is connecting TO an openSuse box from a Windows box - I need to tunnel apps through SSH FROM and openSuse box TO a Windows box.

As an example of what I’m trying to do, I will be using the KRDC client to access a Windows 2003 server, and I would prefer to do it over a secure connection (SSH), so I thought I would have to set up some sort of port-forwarding to do so. Is this incorrect?

swerdna’s the man for this. Hopefully John will spot this. I just don’t use windows.

For VNC take a look here.

I got it

ssh -L <port # on local host>:remote server name/IP:<remote server port #> my@ssh user

this will forward a connection (albeit an unsecure connection) from the SSH server to another host

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

And for specifics for RDP:

ssh -L 3389:localhost:3389 windowsBoxUser@windowsBoxIP

Good luck.

dsteven1 wrote:
> I got it
>
> ssh -L <port # on local host>:remote server name/IP:<remote server port
> #> my@ssh user
>
> this will forward a connection (albeit an unsecure connection) from the
> SSH server to another host
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFJhiDg3s42bA80+9kRAhdLAJ9NrDe3SWrVda9GZxKsDsqIXWaYPACfRAuf
mvLdwFNTBVkmoucplJWu77c=
=XT/F
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

I’m sort of confused by these docs - they seem to say that I should start the TightVNC service from my user account - does that mean that others who try to connect to my linux box (say, using PUTTY/UltraVNC) from a windows box won’t be able to access the account (on openSuSE) I created for them? Or am I misunderstanding how tightvnc runs? I’m also a little confused because many mention simply starting up the Remote Administration option in YaST - does that by default try to open a root shell for someone logging onto my linux box?