Tumbleweed VirtualBox Permissions Perplexion

Hello there!

I am new to opensuse but a long time linux user. By no means an expert. Iam loving opensuse so far, but one thing has me completely stumped: VirtualBox. I am getting the dreaded “You are not a member of the ‘vboxusers’ group…” which is not true. I can’t figure out what is wrong…

paul@openSUSE-tw:~> sudo zypper install virtualbox
[sudo] password for root:
Retrieving repository ‘Main Repository (NON-OSS)’ metadata …[done]
Building repository ‘Main Repository (NON-OSS)’ cache …[done]
Retrieving repository ‘Main Repository (OSS)’ metadata …[done]
Building repository ‘Main Repository (OSS)’ cache …[done]
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Resolving package dependencies…

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
virtualbox

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 38.9 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation,
additional 84.7 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/v/…? shows all options] (y):
Retrieving: virtualbox-7.0.6-6.1.x86_64 (Main Repository (OSS))
(1/1), 38.9 MiB
Retrieving: virtualbox-7.0.6-6.1.x86_64.rpm …[done (9.1 MiB/s)]

Checking for file conflicts: …[done]
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT: setting to root:vboxusers 4750 (wrong permissions 0755)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP: setting to root:vboxusers 4750 (wrong permissions 0755)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl: setting to root:vboxusers 4750 (wrong permissions 0755)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless: setting to root:vboxusers 4750 (wrong permissions 0755)
(1/1) Installing: virtualbox-7.0.6-6.1.x86_64 …[done]
paul@openSUSE-tw:~> sudo useradd -G vboxusers paul
useradd: user ‘paul’ already exists
paul@openSUSE-tw:~> VirtualBox (((This command fails with the popup dialog about vboxusers group)))
paul@openSUSE-tw:~> chkstat --system
Checking permissions and ownerships - using the permissions files
/usr/share/permissions/permissions
/usr/share/permissions/permissions.easy
/etc/permissions.d/postfix
/etc/permissions.d/texlive
/etc/permissions.local

Can someone please point me in the right direction to figure out what is wrong here? (Been banging my head against it for 2 hours now).

What does id return? Did you logoff or reboot after adding yourself to vboxusers?

Hey there and thanks for your reply. I have logged out and even rebooted at least twice since adding myself to the ‘vboxusers’ group.

This is odd though:

paul@openSUSE-tw:~> id
uid=1000(paul) gid=1000(paul) groups=1000(paul)
paul@openSUSE-tw:~>

Appears as though I am not in the group, despite this:

paul@openSUSE-tw:~> sudo useradd -G vboxusers paul
useradd: user ‘paul’ already exists
paul@openSUSE-tw:~>

Wait a minute… I just checked YaST “User and Group Administration” again and now it shows that I am not in the ‘vboxusers’ group. I was in that group yesterday (??)

Actually, YaST doesn’t even show a ‘vboxusers’ group anymore.

But if I ‘sudo cat /etc/groups’ it is there…
vboxusers:x:455:

What the heck?

Your useradd command is telling you that the user paul already exists, not that it’s already in the vboxusers group. Try this instead:

sudo gpasswd -a paul vboxusers
1 Like

Thank you!

Okay, so now ‘sudo cat /etc/groups’ show that I am in the group. I’ll log out and try to launch vbox again…

Nope. Same error message.

In YaST, under my user it shows I am in the group "vboxusers’, however, in the ‘groups’ tab, the ‘vboxusers’ group is not listed.

It may take a full reboot. If that doesn’t work, then I’d check out the Virtualbox Forums.

1 Like

That I can’t explain. I will fire up my TW VM later this afternoon; gotta a big compile running and don’t have the resources to run it.

Never mind. I see that ‘vboxusers’ was filtered out under system groups. :slight_smile:

The reboot fixed it!!

Thanks for your help!