Tumbleweed newbie: how to update properly?

Hi,

my system is
OS openSUSE Tumbleweed*
GNOME 3.28.2
OS type 64-bit
Disk 29.8 GB

As a Tumbleweed newbie, let alone Rolling Distro newbie I would like to know how to properly update my system. Naive as I might be I am thinking of an App that tells me “New Updates, Update your system”. Do I expect too much?

(I know this from Ubuntu, but of course, from Debian and Ubuntu I also know commands such as “apt update”. What to use with tumbleweed, I do not know, Google and Forum searches confuse me because being contradictory with the use up “up”, “dup” etc.)

Thank you, susecub

Hi,

zypper -vvv dup

In Gnome I disable notifications and update

gsettings set org.gnome.software download-updates false

gsettings set org.gnome.software allow-updates false

Or with dconf-editor

I know that this is a bit pedantic, but strictly Tumbleweed is not “updated”. Each snapshot in the repository is considered a distinct distribution and the move from one to another is an “upgrade”. This is important because “update” tools will often break the system. They are the cause of many problems chronicled here.

I think there have only ever been two updates for Tumbleweed distributions. These were for security patches that could not wait for the next TW distribution upgrade/snapshot. But the new TW distributions were less frequent then. Recently major component upgrades (e.g.Kernels and KDE) have triggered new TW distributions every few days, making updates redundant. The whole point of Tumbleweed is to be almost “bleeding edge” and normal practice is to use Zypper to perform frequent distribution upgrades.