Tumbleweed has messed up text in Plasma in VMWare Player

I’ve done a fresh install of Tumbleweed under VMWare Player (12.5.6) and I’m having an issue with a messed up text/user interface in Plasma. The issue also exists at login (SDDM) as well as in the system configuration application (maybe other places as well - looks to be fine in Dolphin).

This issue has existed on various clean installs of openSUSE over the last year, so it’s not something new, but it’s the first time I’ve decided to ask about it.

I’ve searched all over and I can’t seem to find out what the issue might be or how to fix it.

Any thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/bYf4TCf.png

I’ve discovered I don’t have issues in Gnome, and there aren’t any issues with the login screen if I’m using GDM.

I had assumed you were looking at your KDE Desktop graphical console(window) on the local machine.
If you aren’t… If you are viewing the graphical console from another machine(particularly using the VNC protocol), then you have a problem because SDDM does not support remote connections.

When running your KDE Desktop, change your Desktop Manager to LightDM.

TSU

The screenshot was from a clean install of Tumbleweed in VMWare. All I did was login and then set the virtual machine to fullscreen (CTRL+ALT+ENTER). Nothing “remote” at least as far as I understand the term. Either way, I switched the desktop manager to LightDM and when I get into Plasma I get the same situation (messed up text).

I’ve tried switching the rendering backend to XRender from OpenGL and that didn’t help. I’ve also tried uninstalling open-vm-tools and that didn’t help either.

When I use Arch in a VM, SDDM/Plasma both work perfectly, so there’s something about SDDM/Plasma on Tumbleweed in VMWare that’s acting funny on my system.

Pls post
– The GPU and GPU driver. Ordinarily and by default you should be using whatever is distributed with the mainline kernel, but you should also clarify if you are using any proprietary or custom drivers.
Execute the following

lshw -numeric -C display
  • If you already have a spec reference, it can save others from searching for documentation about the openGL capabilities of your GPU.
    Execute the following
glxinfo | grep OpenGL

I haven’t seen what is in your screenshot in a very long time…
In the past, I remember I resolved by changing the Guest screen resolution.

I don’t know if it will help, in early VMware days, the suggestion was to <disable> hardware acceleration.

When you say that this problem has been happening awhile, were you always running TW as your HostOS? Have you had an opportunity to run any other OS as the HostOS(LEAP or other?) by either multi-booting or swapping drives? If you’re been running TW for awhile, what is the first kernel you have installed (It’s listed in your GRUB, YaST bootloader, other ways)?

In any case, I’m pretty sure your problem is related to something between your GPU, your GPU driver and what is being rendered (no suprise).

TSU

BTW -
AFAIK OpenGL itself is not related to your graphical issue (but could be wrong).
Your problem is whether your VMware video driver supports higher resolution properly, and openGL can indirectly indicate whether your video driver supports advanced properties. And, it’s still not so simple, as you’ve already discovered the software rendering may be important as well.

TSU