Tumbleweed breaks after update

I installed Tumbleweed a few months back, I have not been able to update the system because after the update when Iogin I get an X cursor and no applications can launch.
I have to rollback the update each time.
Im not sure how to fix this.

Any help appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
So what graphics card and desktop environment in use (KDE, Gnome etc)?

Sounds like your logging into iceWM, if you right click on the desktop do you see a menu?

Thanks Malcolm,

Im using Gnome DE and gdm and the graphics card is Nvidia gtx 970. I have not installed the proprietary driver.

If you select the previous kernel in the grub; starts ?

Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login with your user, Then run:

sudo update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager

to select a different display manager. If you don’t have other, try to install xdm (sudo zypper in xdm) and then select it. Then reboot your machine (sudo reboot). If you can login but gnome can’t start, then press again Crtl+Alt+F1 login and run

sudo update-alternatives --config default-xsession.desktop

and select other desktop (IceWM), then reboot. Hope this help.

No I just tried the previous kernel and the same problem occurred.

I got stuck at the login screen, I could not login when I selected xdm as the displymanager. I was able to enter my username but I was not able to enter the password or maybe I did but I did not see the character placeholders and when I submitted it returned me to the login screen

I suppose you refers to xdm right? In this login screen you don’t see placeholders when enter the password, so no problem with this. So try to change the desktop with the command:

sudo update-alternatives --config default-xsession.desktop

icewm comes be default in OpenSUSE. All this seems to be a problem with gnome using some video cards.

Try from the console

sudo zypper dup

And see if it updates

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I could not make it work so I switched to kde and it worked so I will stick with that for now.
¯_(ツ)_/¯