Trying to switch over to Ubuntu

I am having trouble trying to figure out how to switch over to Ubuntu. I have downloaded the OS to my computer but can’t figure out how to put it on my USB flashdrive as directed. It shows how use your USB flashdrive using Windows, Mac and Ubuntu but when I read the instructions for Ubuntu, opensuse does not have the program Startup Disk Creator. What do I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ken

Which version of openSUSE are you running?

Release 11.3
Kernel 2.6.34.7-0.4
GNOME 2.30.0

So wouldn’t it be easier just to create the livecd, or perhaps you don’t have a cd/dvd drive?

A search of the forum should turn up threads about copying openSUSE over to a USB flashdrive, that might help. Other than that, you may have to wait for an ubuntoid user to come by.

consused wrote:
> you may have to wait for an ubuntoid user to come by.

or post to the appropriate Ubuntu forum…

DenverD
When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

The guy is running openSUSE and wants to create a Ubuntu disk, using his openSUSE. IMHO he’s better of here than in the *buntu forums.

@OP: can you post output of

su -c 'fdisk -l'
(enter rootpassword)

the exact name of the Ubuntu ISO you downloaded?

You need a USB stick, at least 1GB in size, that does not contain any data (if it does, back them up, the procedure will destroy all data on the USB stick/disk). Reply with asked output and I can post instructions on how to get this done.

Actually, this is the proper forum because he’s using **openSUSE **and wants to create a LiveUSB. Does it really matter what he is putting on the LiveUSB?

Look over the information in the Wiki page SDB:Live USB stick - openSUSE. That should work for you.

Knurpht wrote:
> The guy is running openSUSE and wants to create a Ubuntu disk, using
> his openSUSE. IMHO he’s better of here than in the *buntu forums.

i missunderstood…sorry.

DenverD
When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

The easiest way to install ubuntu (same for linux mint) via an usb drive is
to use unetbootin, it is available for opensuse in the contrib repository.

Download your iso for the ubuntu.

Install unetbootin with zypper or yast after you added the contrib
repository or simply use the one click installer

http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/openSUSE:11.3:Contrib/standard/unetbootin.ymp?base=openSUSE%3A11.3&query=unetbootin

become root and start unetbootin

su -
unetbootin

select the correct target drive (it has to be already mounted).

Select the option Diskimage/ISO and browse for the ubuntu iso. Press OK and
wait until it is finished.

Unplug the stick and plug it into the machine you want to install ubuntu on
it and boot it.

openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.5 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.5 | Quadro FX
3600M | 4GB Ram

When I installed UNR on my netbook I used usb-creator

Ubuntu Live USB creator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since I created the stick on another Ubuntu machine, I don’t know how easy it would be to install usb-creator on openSUSE, but it’s written in python so should be fairly portable.

Heres the thing… Im coming from windows and im not too savvy with all the lingo and how to do things on linux. USB Creator will not work from the Ubuntu files I downloaded.

I just redownloaded Ubuntu on my laptop and in the files that i see there is a USB creator but it says error when I click it.

ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso I think is what was being asked of me. Its still sitting in my downloads… am I supposed to extract the files?

Try these help instructions from the Ubuntu wiki:

You’ll need to be able to extract usb-creator.exe from the image on Windows, As they suggest, you can use Virtual Clone Drive, or 7zip. Worst comes to the worst, burn the image to a CD (in image mode) on a desktop machine and insert the CD to read it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#From%20Windows

Im not using windows. My laptop is running opensuse.

**This is the best advice I see here for you!!

In that case you have to use unetbootin or usb-creator (running on openSUSE).

Im not sure how to use unetbootin… i downloaded it but now what? Im not sure what become root means.

When I open the iso file from my download box why does it say read only?

Welp… i think i found the right iso file and used brasero to burn it onto a disk… but it wont autorun… says “Cannot find the autorun program”

Even tried reinstalling opensuse using the same disc I used when I got rid of windows and it wont autorun either…

Are you now saying you can’t boot the install media