For a number of years, I’ve been running a linksys nslu2 with the unslung firmware to provide me with one set of services: Have a consistent view of / easy accessibility to my ISP email accounts to various in-house clients (I use different devices, dual boot, etc.) without depending on the ISP’s email server. On the nslu2, I used Postfix, Cyrus and fetchmail. There was a step by step guide on how to get it working initially and when my ISP clamped down on unencrypted connections, I was able to tweak the existing config to meet the new requirements with reasonable effort. That solution has stopped working (fetchmail has stopped pulling mails) and I don’t want to put much effort into it (the hardware is old and the package support is pretty much non existant) and would like to setup a new environment.
I stood up an OpenSuse 13.2 virtual machine and figured that, years later, with Yast graphical support and all of these products having been around “forever”, this would be pretty much a point and click affair and I’d be done in a few hours. I was wrong (not the first time). lol
A good 10 hours or so of effort into this, I don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel (currently trying to figure out why I can’t login to my cyrus admin account using cyradm). In short, I find that every little step requires extensive reading and research and, by now, I wonder if I’ve messaged it up beyond repair and am willing to start from scratch (I took a snapshot of the VM after the initial OS install and update, so reverting and starting fresh is quick and easy).
Here are my parameters:
- I have no preference towards a specific product, but have to have the SMTP and IMAP protocol support as well as fetchmail to pull the messages from the outside
- Small environment (5 accounts) with relatively little traffic but a lot of historic emails I want to retain (estimate the total volume at about 15K messages)
- Ease of setup and occasional maintainance (I’m not a sysadmin; lol) as well as stability (I just want the thing to run and not be broken / require attention when updates come down the pipe) are high on my wish list
- I would like to retain my historic emails (one time synch the mailbox content from the existing imap server to the new one - I did this at some point in the past when I moved from the UW Imap server to Cyrus and, while I recall it was painless, can’t recall which of the various available tools I used)
- while I love OpenSuse I’m open to using a different distro just for this purpose (if there’s a good reason for it)
With that in mind, here are my questions:
- Is there a step-by-step guide on how to set this up (the “Mail server setup for dummies on OpenSuse 13.2” guide)?
- In the absence of a step-by-step guide, any other suggestions on how I get to where I want to go while being subjected to minimal pain and suffering?
Thank you in advance for your help.