trying to decide about replacement drive

I have just bought an ASUS Zenbook flip s, refurbished, and the storage it says it has on the specs is a 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD. It is supposed to arrive in a couple of days.

When I get it, I am thinking of taking the existing drive out and replacing it with a blank 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, and then installing openSUSE on that, and not having Windows at all, no dual boot, pure Linux. That way if there is a hardware problem, I can put the original it came with back in and send it in on warranty, and they can’t say anything. After the warranty runs out I will have an extra drive. It’s a bit of an extra expense, but probably worth it to me.

So as I am looking at the various 1TB drives available with the M.2 form factor, I see several options. Some say V-NAND technology, others say 3D NAND, and some say speeds up to 3470 MB/sec and others 2400 MB/sec, and others don’t mention speeds. In general I would prefer higher speed, if the other hardware on my new flipbook would support it.

But I was wondering if anyone has some experience in buying a replacement drive like this for a laptop or 2-in-1 with the form factor M.2, and if you might have any suggestions on what I should look for.

Please keep in mind that there are several Versions of PCIe available (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcie).

You need to know which PCIe-version your computer implements and then look for a SSD with the same (or higher) version.

Regards

susejunky

Probably best to get the same drive - nvme is much faster than ssd.

Most likely that it is not pcie 4 in a laptop so that spec is a waste of money.

WD 750 is a good choice - priced right. Not the 100% fastest but 95% for 1/2 cost is not bad. Here is one for $117.00 with shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144095822835?epid=14035795206&hash=item218cc7c3f3%3Ag%3Aq5oAAOSwNuVgZ9FC&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Hi
It can also depend on the NVME controller… for my HP Z440, WD NVME’s don’t work, need a device with a Phison controller… at least the WD works in another system…

Thank you, I didn’t realize that NVMe is something different from SSD. I will try the WD750.

Possibly you need one-sided drive (no chips on a bottom).
Do not use QLC memory, use TLC.
Use drive with onboard RAM cache.
Use drive with PCIe 4x bus, not 2x.
You don’t need PCIe 4.0 drive, use PCIe 3.0.
Choose NVMe drive that you can install - without hard-attached cooler (plate), you need space for it and you may haven’t it in a laptop.
Choose NVMe drive that you can use - with limited heating, suitable for laptops.
You may attach cooling copper plate (20x70 mm) to a drive.
You may use bigger drive if you need it.

SSDs come in 2 different sizes : 2.5 inch and M.2

while SSD types are two : SATA and NVME ( these are not types of drives but communication protocols - just used “types” for your understanding)

SATA drives can be found in both 2.5 inch and M.2 formats but

NVMe is only found in M.2 .

Be careful what M.2 drives you are buying as SATA M.2 and NVMe M.2 look almost the same:good:

Hi
Yes, all about the device keying… check your physical hardware socket as well as system specs…

No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#HHHL

And many others.