trying to access a share that has no username or password

I already stated “no. **nothing **about kwallet anywhere…” I did not say there was.

Anyway. Yes, that is exactly the dialog box that appears every time i am trying to connect to my samba share.

That IS the kwallet authentication dialogue box!

FWIW, I’ve found time to set a guest share (requiring no username/password) running on a Linux host, and Dolphin allows me to access it without being prompted for credentials. Only my Windows 10 share (configured for r/w access by “Everyone”) requires an arbitrary username/password to be entered when accessing via Dolphin.

I know its been a while, But I figured I should post this.

Because of the way things are not exactly working in my favor on openSUSE when it comes to what I would consider “essential features”, I have decided to go to Debian 11 KDE. Maybe also try testing other DTEs.

It is not very helpful and actually discouraging when I read the, and im paraphrasing here, “it works for me” response and then nothing else.

Hopefully the fix is somewhere here. But as it stands, I just do not see it. Not yet at least.

As for now, what I am trying to accomplish here is effortlessly possible in Debian 11.

Thanks for the responses/help.

What more did you expect? We’re all just volunteers here, and such a comment may discourage others from attempting to assist.
Anyway, use what works for you. Good luck.

Hi.

I have the same problem (but i really like opensuse so i wont go away).

I tried command line

smbclient //<IP>/users -U <user>

and then input the password but still get

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

i think the server is setup ok because i have no problem when i allow (using yast) the anonymous user and connect using gnome’s GUI file manager without password.

i tried especifying the protocol -m

server and client are both Opensuse Leap 15.3 the client and 15.2 the server.

Hope anyone who found the solution posts it here.

PS: during tests i have firewall and apparmor disabled in the server.

Hi
That’s normally the protocol as in ver= incorrectly set in either the client or server. Add some verbosity to the smbclient command as in smbclient -d 2 .... and show the output. openSUSE Leap 15.2 is E.o.L.

Hi, (TLDR) but I have seen this problem even on ubuntu and some old printers with old smb protocol. This is what worked for me:

sudo mount.cifs -v -o "sec=ntlm,username=anonymous,password=,vers=1.0,nounix,noperm,rw,uid=me,noserverino" //IP_OF_DEVICE/memory_card ./mnt

You might need to zypper install some samba support packages prior using mount.cifs, maybe smbclient?, but I don’t remember them, sorry.