trying to access a share that has no username or password

Yes, my TW installation is fully up to date.

when you refer to the samba bug, are you specifically referring to the smbclient itself?

After some amount of testing on all my windows computers and the debian 11 test bed I setup, I believe its got something to do with openSUSE TW specifically.

All shown attempts were with credentials. To actually connect without any user/password one should use “smbclient -U %”.

eric@localhost:~> smbclient //192.168.5.2/wd-8tb-red -m NT1 -U %
lp_load_ex: Max protocol NT1 is less than min protocol SMB2_02.
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER_MIX
eric@localhost:~> smbclient //192.168.5.2/wd-8tb-red -U %
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
eric@localhost:~> smbclient //192.168.5.2/ -U %
eric@localhost:~>

And the reason you continue to use -m NT1 although you yourself said that you configured your server to reject it is … ?

eric@localhost:~> smbclient //192.168.5.2/ -U %           
eric@localhost:~>

I suspect it never gets as far as trying to login. You did not provide any share name, so there nothing to connect to.

My experience with connecting to a Windows 10 share (using MB2/SMB3) at least, and set for “Everyone” to access, still results with samba prompting for username/password credentials, even though what is entered does not matter. If I attempt to connect without such credentials, access is denied. Anyway, I can’t replicate what the OP is experiencing with their samba client.

The OP doesn’t. It was attempted as an explicit test before they subsequently mentioned…

I checked the server and I can confirm that the lowest version is set to at least smb2.02 highest is smb3.11"

That is exactly what I have been trying to say here. I do not understand why you dont see that. Are you rush reading by any chance?

This is happening to me when I use openSUSE but not when I use windows, debian 11 or android.

the samba share has no password so anyone connecting to it can simply connect to it with full access. openSUSE is the only one that cannot.

Think about it. I have more than 5 computers already able to connect to it. this computer I am on that is running openSUSE cannot connect to it. That, to me, indicates this is an issue with openSUSE.

openSUSE, no matter what I do, keeps asking for a non-existent username and password to connect to the same share.

No, I got that from your opening post. However, you left some details out, leaving us to speculate. I assume that you’re trying to access via a graphical file manager. Which one? It’s not clear whether you succeeded in accessing the share(s) in question (even when presented with an authentication dialogue box)?

Regardless of the above, smbclient should be able to connect similarly. If it is a samba server, configured for anonymous access, then you should be able to do something like

smbclient //<server hostname or IP/<share> -N

openSUSE, no matter what I do, keeps asking for a non-existent username and password to connect to the same share.

For KDE at least, you can set a username and password under
System Settings > Network > Settings > Windows Shares

In your case an arbitrary username and password should suffice, and then Dolphin will use those credentials (with no dialogue box presented).

DTE: KDE Plasma 5
Fully updated as of 8:12pm 11/7/2021

Using only the GUI instead of CLI. The only time I use the CLI is when you give me CLI commands.

I did find the windows share settings and tried “anonymous” in both username and password. after trying to navigate to the share via “dolphin” it still shows the login screen in vain.

[QUOTE=deano_ferrari;3079787]Regardless of the above, smbclient should be able to connect similarly. If it is a samba server, configured for anonymous access, then you should be able to do something like

smbclient //<server hostname or IP/<share> -N

This actually works. But I dont want to use a command line. I want to connect to the drive in a GUI. not a cli.

eric@localhost:~> smbclient //192.168.5.2/wd-red-8tb -N
Try “help” to get a list of possible commands.
smb: &gt;

In your previous post, you asked if I was using “NT1.0” followed by **"…a now deprecated and insecure ‘legacy’ samba protocol?"
Yes I get it, its an old, outdated, possibly now unholy thing to use. But I am trying to connect to a share that allows anonymous login with Read and Write access. The only reason is see this being a concern is if its for compatibility reasons. Deprecated? yeah i agree Insecure? Read the writing on the wall here.

“I am trying to connect to a share that allows anonymous login with Read and Write permissions.”

If I sound mean, I am sorry. openSUSE is pretty much able to cover just about literally everything I want out of a linux distro except for this one little problem and I really want to fix it. It makes my persistant nature restless in these sorts of technological things. You can tell me to take breaks all you want but it will just be like “white noise” to me when the the supposed fixes and solutions in the guides and other peoples posts do not help.

Ok, is this the kwallet authentication dialogue box? (It should show an option to remember password as well.)

This actually works. But I dont want to use a command line. I want to connect to the drive in a GUI. not a cli.

eric@localhost:~> smbclient //192.168.5.2/wd-red-8tb -N
Try “help” to get a list of possible commands.
smb: &gt;

Ok, good to know that works. (Commands and output can be useful to check things more definitively, rather than relying on users descriptions and interpretations.)

In your previous post, you asked if I was using “NT1.0” followed by “…a now deprecated and insecure ‘legacy’ samba protocol?”

Yes I get it, its an old, outdated, possibly now unholy thing to use. But I am trying to connect to a share that allows anonymous login with Read and Write access. The only reason is see this being a concern is if its for compatibility reasons. Deprecated? yeah i agree Insecure? Read the writing on the wall here.

As you confirmed that the samba server uses SMB2+, we don’t need to concern ourselves with this.

No. nothing about kwallet anywhere in the popup dialog box.

No, it won’t display that…it will be titled “Authentication Dialogue”. Looks like this…

https://paste.opensuse.org/images/95460672.png](https://paste.opensuse.org/images/95460672.png)

I already stated “no. **nothing **about kwallet anywhere…” I did not say there was.

Anyway. Yes, that is exactly the dialog box that appears every time i am trying to connect to my samba share.

That IS the kwallet authentication dialogue box!

FWIW, I’ve found time to set a guest share (requiring no username/password) running on a Linux host, and Dolphin allows me to access it without being prompted for credentials. Only my Windows 10 share (configured for r/w access by “Everyone”) requires an arbitrary username/password to be entered when accessing via Dolphin.

I know its been a while, But I figured I should post this.

Because of the way things are not exactly working in my favor on openSUSE when it comes to what I would consider “essential features”, I have decided to go to Debian 11 KDE. Maybe also try testing other DTEs.

It is not very helpful and actually discouraging when I read the, and im paraphrasing here, “it works for me” response and then nothing else.

Hopefully the fix is somewhere here. But as it stands, I just do not see it. Not yet at least.

As for now, what I am trying to accomplish here is effortlessly possible in Debian 11.

Thanks for the responses/help.

What more did you expect? We’re all just volunteers here, and such a comment may discourage others from attempting to assist.
Anyway, use what works for you. Good luck.

Hi.

I have the same problem (but i really like opensuse so i wont go away).

I tried command line

smbclient //<IP>/users -U <user>

and then input the password but still get

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

i think the server is setup ok because i have no problem when i allow (using yast) the anonymous user and connect using gnome’s GUI file manager without password.

i tried especifying the protocol -m

server and client are both Opensuse Leap 15.3 the client and 15.2 the server.

Hope anyone who found the solution posts it here.

PS: during tests i have firewall and apparmor disabled in the server.

Hi
That’s normally the protocol as in ver= incorrectly set in either the client or server. Add some verbosity to the smbclient command as in smbclient -d 2 .... and show the output. openSUSE Leap 15.2 is E.o.L.

Hi, (TLDR) but I have seen this problem even on ubuntu and some old printers with old smb protocol. This is what worked for me:

sudo mount.cifs -v -o "sec=ntlm,username=anonymous,password=,vers=1.0,nounix,noperm,rw,uid=me,noserverino" //IP_OF_DEVICE/memory_card ./mnt

You might need to zypper install some samba support packages prior using mount.cifs, maybe smbclient?, but I don’t remember them, sorry.