Trying OpenSUSE 13.1.... grr

Okay here is my story.

I had an old laptop with Windows Vista on which I decided to upgrade to OpenSUSE 13.1.

I downloaded the iso file and burn it on a DVD.

The first time everything went smoothly. I installed OpenSUSE 13.1 in less than 30 mins. Worked fine. I try to run Yast and realize that the password was not working. I dont know why but anyways, I decided to install it again all over.

1. After inserting the dvd and boot from it, I choose the option installation. After loading the kernel bar, it reached to the point where it was saying Loading udev and it shuts down.

After several times, I decided that there must be some kind of a problem with the opensuse already installed so I used a windows xp installation dvd that I have and remove all the partitions.

1. Once there were no partitions on my HDD, I run the installation dvd. Then it runs normally until the installation is complete. Once the laptop reboots I get the message of “Error Loading Operating System”

Then I thought that maybe I should completely install windows and try again.

1. After installing windows and running the opensuse installation dvd, the installation SOMETIMES starts sometimes it shuts down on loading udev. And when it starts it reach to the point where on the first checklist of the installation , it cannot find the repositories from the dvd so I cannot go further from there.

I dont know what is wrong but I am tired already.

On 2014-01-19 14:56, openkoko wrote:
> I downloaded the iso file and burn it on a DVD.

Run the media check option.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

it worked once, doesnt that mean that it is fine?

Nope, if the medium isn’t burned to disk OK, it may be able to correct the error once, but not the next time. This doesn’t go for USB media, it does for “burned” media.

EDIT: does XP remove the manufacturer’s hidden partition as well?

Rather use the openSUSE partitioner to create a brand new partitioning.

It probably removed all partitions.

when you say to use the opensuse partitioning, you mean in the installation set which you setup the partition or something else. and if yes, how exactly do I create a brand new partitioning with that?

On 2014-01-19 16:36, openkoko wrote:

> when you say to use the opensuse partitioning, you mean in the
> installation set which you setup the partition or something else. and if
> yes, how exactly do I create a brand new partitioning with that?

At the partition proposal there is a point where you can select “use
entire disk”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

yea that is what I have used

Since it’s an old laptop, a possibility I wouldn’t exclude is the DVD drive itself.

An alternative is to take a (min 2 GB) USB stick, and download a Live image from the opensuse.org site. KDE or GNOME, and create a bootable USB drive from it. That would allow you to boot the laptop in a desktop environment, and to get us more info on f.e. the disk’s partitioning layout.

You need to be sure ie double check that the installer is reusing the current partitioning and set is correct ie if the partitions are going to and are the size you think they are. If the installer is guessing wrong on what you want go advanced mode and fix it.

Normally you will have 3 partitions swap, root mounted as / home mounted as /home swap should be 1 or 2X memory root 20-30gig rest to home