Trouble with automounting

I have been using the automout system for years without problem but in the last two weeks I have developed a problem. After a boot it does not automount. After some searching I found references to rpc.statd being needed; it is running however.
1464 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -D

BUT if I run it again the automounter works. This is a pain as it requires extra stages and i do not understand why

In /etc/auto.mnt I have
snout -fstype=nfs,-nfsvers=3,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,user,suid snout.codemist.co.uk:confused:

do as me

harvey:~> ls /mnt/snout
ls: cannot open directory /mnt/snout: No such file or directory

and as root

harvey:/var # rpc.statd
harvey:/var # ls /mnt/snout
bin .gnupg lib32 mnt root .spamassassin .ure
boot home lib64 opt sbin srv usr
dev initrd.img lost+found proc selinux sys var
etc lib media .rnd sounds tmp vmlinuz

The remote machine is running Debian but I think that the problem is local. I tried adding a call to rpc.statd in /etc/init.d/boot.local but that had no affect.

How can I get automounting to be automatic?

OpenSuse 12.2 x86_64 laptop

Please, to keep your posts readable and to make a clear difference between your story and the computer evidence you show and to keep the layout of those computer texts as they are shown on the terminal, use CODE tags around all copied/pasted computer texts. It is the # button in the toolbar of the post editor.

This thread may be of relevance to you.

I think not. Does not explain why it is failing nowand was not two weeks ago, and gives no solutions

Still failing; it I run

rpc.statd ; /etc/init.d/autofs restart

as root it seems to recover. Another timing issue?