TP61p will not shutdown when docked with external monitor

I have a ThinkPad T61p with a 1920x1200 LCD and NVidia card running openSUSE 11.1 x64.

When running the laptop undocked everything works fine, and I can shut down the system properly etc.

When I attach it to my docking station which has a 1920x1200 LCD attached via the DVI port, the system refuses to power off. It will shut down and turn off both the internal and the external monitor - but it remains powered on.

I’m forced to manually power off the machine by pressing and holding the power button on the dock. I have cooked the inside of my carrier bag several times from forgetting this little crucial step.

I have tried several editions of xorg.conf, using both nvidia-xconfig and manual editing, but nothing seems to help.

I have dual mode properly confiured with separate X screens.

Please, can anybody shed some light on this and perhaps point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much in advance.

A few more observations:

When docked with the external monitor attached, I cannot use the Ctrl-Alt-Fn keys to switch to a terminal session. The screen goes black and the monitor enters power save mode. Using Ctrl-Alt-F7 will bring back the X window though.

When logging out, the screen will go black for as much as 45 seconds before the login screen reappears.

I’m fairly certain it’s the crappy nVidia adapter that’s doing this, and it’s becoming a real pain to the point where I’m considering going back to 11.0 where I didn’t seem to have this problem.

Anybody out there with the same symptoms?

What - nobody else with this particular problem out there?

This used to work in 11.0…