Touchpad problems, but not in failsafe (dell studio 15)

Just installed Suse 11.0 on my Dell Studio 15. Had to boot in failsafe mode to get graphics drivers working (ATI), touchpad worked perfectly. Booted normally, touchpad was “sticky” - near unusable. Installed ksynaptics and used it to increase sensitivity a notch. Stickiness resolved, but now when I rest my finger on the touchpad the cursor moves around. Further increases or decreases of sensitivity have no effect whatsoever!

Ctrl-Alt-backspace returns touchpad to initial sticky state.

Sax2 shows two touchpads (one enabled) and one enabled PS/2 mouse. When I try to disable the mouse (there isn’t one connected), sax2 throws an error on testing - something to do with displays. Could this be a result of running the aticonfig tool to enable my graphics drivers after installing?

What changes between failsafe and normal boot that could affect the touchpad?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks :slight_smile:

PS Sorry for the terse post, this is tapped out on a phone! (for unrelated reasons :D)

Disable the mouse and don’t worry about the failure in testing. That happened to me too, but removing the extra pointing device still helped make the touchpad act more sanely. I’m not sure what the reason for the fail is, but I don’t have an ATI card, I have Intel.

I’m also not sure why failsafe would work any better, except that it probably loads a more minimal set of hardware (but this is conjecture since I haven’t looked into what failsafe mode actually does).

On my Acer touchpad behave the same…on 10.3 there was no such problems and I do not know the reason.:frowning:

My guess is that it depends on your hardware to some extent. My touchpad barely worked at all on 10.3, certainly not scrolling. But on 11.0 it works great once I remove the extra device.

You have to figure this out for yourself.

If you look at the contents (BUT DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING) in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, you will see the difference between failsafe boot and a normal boot. In essence there are a series of boot codes, that are applied in failsafe, to disable various services/functions that can complicate the boot.

I recommend you write down what those boot codes are, then try booting from a normal boot many times, and each time you boot, enter one of those boot codes in the options line of the grub menu. Test your touchpad each time.

That should help you narrow it down to one or two specific boot codes.

You may also get a hint by typing, after a normal mode boot:
dmesg > dmesg.txt and with a text editor open up the file “dmesg.txt” and check the contents. (don’t paste that file here, … you can pastebin it to general pastebin - simplified internet collaboration).

You could also run the same dmesg > dmesg.txt when doing a failsafe boot and compare the boot/dmesg contents, … but I don’t think that will yield as much information of interest.