Touchpad Issue

Hi, Hopefully I am posting this in the correct forum. I recently installed openSUSE Leap 42.1 on my Samsung NP365E5C Laptop, and this is my first experience with openSUSE. For some reason occasionally when I start my laptop the touchpad does not work, when this happens I have to restart the system (sometimes twice) and then the touchpad will work like normal. I ran Linux Mint, 17.2 & then 17.3, on this laptop for the last year and never encountered this issue. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I have a Acer laptop where the touchpad stops working temporarily if it just touches a very small amount of fluid (just dew from a sodacan is enough). I can solve it by using the Fn key to disable the touchpad, and pressing it again and everything works fine.

Bo

Hi and welcome to the Forums!
There is a chance that xf86-input-synaptics and xf86-input-libinput interfere with each other: please check that they are NOT BOTH installed.
I would uninstall xf86-input-synaptics, but it should work the other way round too.
If YaST2-Software complains about conflict resolution, it is safe to “break xorg-x11-driver-input by ignoring some of its dependencies”.

I guess it could be a kernel regression at play (assuming it’s not due to an intermittent hardware issue).

1. When the touchpad is working from boot, does it stay working?

2. Compare the following when it is working and when it’s not

xinput
dmesg | grep i2c