Total newbie needs help installing network printer

Can someone please point me in the direction of an idiots guide to printing via linux. I want to set up access to a network printer.

This page may help, with regards to openSUSE and/or Windows:Printer Sharing: Windows Print Server for Suse/openSUSE Linux Clients [Samba and LPD]

What type of network printer? Print server, shared, etc?

mm0

Its an Epson Laser printer with its own network interface (ethernet) I’m familiar with windows so I would describe it as using TCPIP. All I know is I am trying to use CUPS I have loaded the printer but get the message its busy (when it isn’t) when I try to print the test page. The printers ip address responds when I ping it in the konsole app.

OK, I don’t use CUPS that often, but going from memory:

1. create a new network printer. If it asks for it, I believe you will want to choose the ‘jet direct’ option.
  2. I’m not sure what this screen says, but look for the example that says ‘socket’, and that is the one I believe you will use…your entry should be something like 'socket://{IP OF PRINTER}:9100 (IE: socket://192.168.0.140:9100)
  3. finish up the wizard…

try that, and let me know if it works…if it doesn’t, it’ll have to wait until I get home tonight to look at the screens.

mm0

On Thu February 19 2009 04:46 pm, muzicman0 wrote:

>
> OK, I don’t use CUPS that often, but going from memory:
>
> 1) create a new network printer. If it asks for it, I believe you will
> want to choose the ‘jet direct’ option.
> 2) I’m not sure what this screen says, but look for the example that
> says ‘socket’, and that is the one I believe you will use…your entry
> should be something like 'socket://{IP OF PRINTER}:9100 (IE:
> socket://192.168.0.140:9100)
> 3) finish up the wizard…
>
> try that, and let me know if it works…if it doesn’t, it’ll have to
> wait until I get home tonight to look at the screens.
>
> mm0
>
magunn;

You might want to check the Open Printing site for your printer:
http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
This should give information on the driver and often additional information
for installing.

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

Have you tried the connection wizard in yast2 under hardware-printer? If it is not working using ipp, try the traditional unix server (LPR). Give the ip address of the the printer and in the queue put lp(small letter L and P) and test if it is responding, if it says “ok” then proceed with the driver selection and test printing.

Mmm, yes ok but how about telling us the model number so that we can look up the specs and see which of the several network protocols it supports?

As a matter of fact, network printers are usually compatible with any OS because they can’t use shenanigans like GDI or proprietary USB protocols, but have to use standard network protocols like LPR, Jetdirect, etc.

Its an aculaser C2800. Thanks for the help. I am very new to linux and struggling with the nomenclature.

I tried this but got the message
Bad device-uri ‘Socket//192.168.1.120:9100’
This is the correct ip address of the printer and I can ping it!

This one?

Epson AcuLaser C2800 | C11CA0900

In fact not only does it support PCL and Postscript but it supports all the common TCP protocols: LPR, IPP, Port 9100 (Jetdirect) and more.

But it may require some setup. There is mention of network management protocols, and one is HTTP, which means it has a built-in web server. Have you tried connecting to it with a web browser and seeing what needs to be configured? Come to think of it, what does the CD or paper manual tell you to do to set it up? Do you have it working with Windows? Is there some kind of simplified setup CD for Windows? It might be worth getting it working first with Windows to get a feel for the lay of the land.

If that’s not a typo, you forgot the colon…it should be:

Socket://192.168.1.120:9100

mm0

Sorted Thanks

Can I say that the help I received was way better and quicker than anything I have ever had from a windows based forum. No snidy comments and a tolerence for inexperience

Thanks again :slight_smile:

likely to be very helpful for others following in your wake if you tell us what you did; spell out the details; creates a track record

In the end I used the yast2 wizard which I didn’t know existed. It took some guesswork and I never got the test page to print as the printer complained it didn’t have the right size paper in it. I can now however print in colour from office software.

For other newbies try the yast2 wizard first.