Toshiba Wireless ??

This is a continuation of a previous thread started 7 aug 2013 (https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/network-internet/489316-network-manager.html). In that thread, you were kind enough to help me get the WIRED connection working to my Toshiba L70-A laptop but the WiFi issue was not resolved. Family health problems have taken me away from this openSUSE 12.3 build project for two months. Now I want to complete it.
In that thread, wolfi323 had me run

sudo /sbin/lspci -nnk

From that output, he identified the two problem devices as:

T02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8179] (rev 01)

        Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:0181]

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1091] (rev 10)

        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:fa80]

Installing kernel-desktop-3.10.5-1.1.g4e0ffc2.x86_64.rpm gave me WIRED internet access but no WiFi access.
Since this is a Laptop I will be using when traveling, I need WiFi to work.

Has the WiFi driver issue been resolved in the past two months while I was away?

Can someone point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

Cordially,
TwoHoot

On 10/06/2013 12:36 PM, TwoHoot wrote:
>
> This is a continuation of a previous thread started 7 aug 2013
> (http://tinyurl.com/lt466ca). In that thread, you were kind enough to
> help me get the WIRED connection working to my Toshiba L70-A laptop but
> the WiFi issue was not resolved. Family health problems have taken me
> away from this openSUSE 12.3 build project for two months. Now I want to
> complete it.
> In that thread, wolfi323 had me run
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo /sbin/lspci -nnk
> --------------------
>
>
> From that output, he identified the two problem devices as:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> T02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8179] (rev 01)
>
> Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:0181]
>
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1091] (rev 10)
>
> Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:fa80]
> --------------------
>
>
> Installing kernel-desktop-3.10.5-1.1.g4e0ffc2.x86_64.rpm gave me WIRED
> internet access but no WiFi access.
> Since this is a Laptop I will be using when traveling, I need WiFi to
> work.
>
> Has the WiFi driver issue been resolved in the past two months while I
> was away?
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

If you had read the stickies for this forum, you would have seen that the output
of the dmesg command should be checked for missing firmware.

Your device is an RTL8188EE, which uses driver rtl8188ee, which was added to the
kernel in 3.10.

You need to install the kernel-firmware package using zypper or YaST. If that
package was already installed, then you need to install the rfkill package and
provide the output of ‘/usr/sbin/rfkill list’.

I have read the stickies and appreciate the information very much. I just haven’t had time to work on this.

I have already installed kernel 3.10 which fixed the WIRED connection problem but did not fix the WiFi problem,

I ran dmesg as suggested and looked for missing firmware and other warnings. Here is a snippet of the output which shows several problems. The Wifi problem seems to be on 9.260576 with missing firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw,bin.

    9.012013] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
    9.021139] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
    9.021182] scsi 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
    9.021552] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000000428-0x000000000000042f SystemIO conflicts with Region \PMIO 1 (20130328/utaddress-251)
    9.021559] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    9.021564] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000000530-0x000000000000053f SystemIO conflicts with Region \GPIO 1 (20130328/utaddress-251)
    9.021568] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    9.021569] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000000500-0x000000000000052f SystemIO conflicts with Region \GPIO 1 (20130328/utaddress-251)
    9.021573] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    9.021574] lpc_ich: Resource conflict(s) found affecting gpio_ich
    9.029157] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input10
    9.032475] alx 0000:03:00.0 eth0: Qualcomm Atheros AR816x/AR817x Ethernet [08:9e:01:c6:82:17]
    9.033468] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    9.033472] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    9.033604] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    9.033694] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000004040-0x000000000000405f SystemIO conflicts with Region \_SB_.PCI0.SBUS.SMBI 1 (20130328/utaddress-251)
    9.033701] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    9.035069] rtl8188ee: Using firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw.bin
    9.041941] microcode: CPU0 sig=0x306a9, pf=0x10, revision=0x17
    9.058009] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
    9.070229] hda_codec: CX20756: BIOS auto-probing.
    9.070447] ALSA hda_auto_parser.c:393 autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x17/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
    9.070451] ALSA hda_auto_parser.c:397    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    9.070454] ALSA hda_auto_parser.c:401    hp_outs=1 (0x16/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
    9.070456] ALSA hda_auto_parser.c:402    mono: mono_out=0x0
    9.070458] ALSA hda_auto_parser.c:406    inputs:
    9.070461] ALSA hda_auto_parser.c:410      Internal Mic=0x1a
    9.070463] ALSA hda_auto_parser.c:410      Mic=0x18
    9.071357] input: HDA Digital PCBeep as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/input/input11
    9.071405] ALSA patch_conexant.c:3414 hda_codec: Enable sync_write for stable communication
    9.074842] iTCO_vendor_support: vendor-support=0
    9.075037] iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.10
    9.075065] iTCO_wdt: Found a Panther Point TCO device (Version=2, TCOBASE=0x0460)
    9.075175] iTCO_wdt: initialized. heartbeat=30 sec (nowayout=0)
    9.077216] input: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input12
    9.077286] input: HDA Intel PCH Front Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input13
    9.077387] input: HDA Intel PCH Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input14
    9.098547] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
    9.098551] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
    9.098554] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
    9.098556] cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
    9.098558] cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
    9.098560] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
    9.098562] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
    9.103767] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    9.104838] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device TOSHIBA Web Camera - HD (04f2:b3b1)
    9.106178] input: TOSHIBA Web Camera - HD as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4:1.0/input/input15
    9.106268] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    9.106270] USB Video Class driver (1.1.1)
    9.260576] rtlwifi: Firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw.bin not available
    9.322796] microcode: CPU1 sig=0x306a9, pf=0x10, revision=0x17
    9.322852] microcode: CPU2 sig=0x306a9, pf=0x10, revision=0x17
    9.322907] microcode: CPU3 sig=0x306a9, pf=0x10, revision=0x17
    9.322967] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.00 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba
    9.352295] ACPI: Deprecated procfs I/F for battery is loaded, please retry with CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER cleared
    9.352302] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery present)
    9.352472] wmi: Mapper loaded
    9.353071] toshiba_acpi: Toshiba Laptop ACPI Extras version 0.19
    9.353179] input: Toshiba input device as /devices/virtual/input/input16
    9.695959] usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
    9.696039] scsi6 : usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0
    9.696147] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
  

Where do I get the firmware and how do I install it?

If it will help, I can post the entire 1006 lines of the dmesg output.

Cordially,
TwoHoot

Did you install the kernel-firmware package?

You need to install the kernel-firmware package using zypper or YaST. If that
package was already installed, then you need to install the rfkill package and
provide the output of ‘/usr/sbin/rfkill list’.

No, I did not install “missing firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw,bin” because I do not know where to get it or how to install it.

I did install kernel-desktop-3.10.5-1.1.g4e0ffc2.x86_64.rpm. (See previous thread linked in post #1 above). It installed firmware rtl8188ee which got the WIRED network connection running properly.

Should I install and run rfkill before or after I find and install the “missing firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw,bin”?

Cordially,
TwoHoot

On 10/07/2013 07:06 PM, deano ferrari wrote:
>
> Did you install the kernel-firmware package?
>
>>
>> You need to install the kernel-firmware package using zypper or YaST. If
>> that
>> package was already installed, then you need to install the rfkill
>> package and
>> provide the output of ‘/usr/sbin/rfkill list’.

It seems that openSUSE 12.3 has not updated the linux-firmware package to keep
up with the recent developments in firmware. You will need to do the following:


sudo zypper install git
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git

That will download the latest firmware, which contains the one you need. After
the git clone operation finishes, you can copy the rtl8188ee firmware to
/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/. After you do that, you can delete the linux-firmware
tree if you are short on disk space.

I think I can do that.

Just for my information, what does rtlwifi/rtl8188efw,bin have to do with anything? (Note “efw” instead of “ee”)

Cordially,
TwoHoot

On 10/07/2013 10:36 PM, TwoHoot wrote:
>
> deano_ferrari;2589899 Wrote:
>> Did you install the kernel-firmware package?
>
> No, I did not install “missing firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw,bin”
> because I do not know where to get it or how to install it.
>
> I did install kernel-desktop-3.10.5-1.1.g4e0ffc2.x86_64.rpm. (See
> previous thread linked in post #1 above). It installed firmware
> rtl8188ee which got the WIRED network connection running properly.
>
> Should I install and run rfkill before or after I find and install the
> “missing firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188efw,bin”?

The kernel and kernel-firmware are two distinct things. The fact that they both
have kernel in them is strictly an arbitrary naming convention that only
openSUSE uses. The name for the rest of the universe is linux-firmware.

If your device works after you get the firmware with zypper, then you won’t need
rfkill. That firmware file is in the linux-firmware git repo that I told you how
to get. I made a typo when I used ee rather than e.

After

sudo zypper install git
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git

I could not find rtl8188ee but did find rtl8188efw.bin which I assume is the correct one to copy

I do not see a rtlwifi folder in /lib/firmware/. Should I create one and copy the above file into it?

Thank you for your patience. I am unsure and truly don’t want to screw up and have to start over.

On 10/08/2013 10:56 AM, TwoHoot wrote:
>
> After
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo zypper install git
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git
>
> --------------------
>
> I could not find rtl8188ee but did find rtl8188efw.bin which I assume is
> the correct one to copy
>
> I do not see a rtlwifi folder in /lib/firmware/. Should I create one and
> copy the above file into it?

Do you want your wireless to work? If so, then you need to create that directory
(folder is a Winblow$ term) and copy rtl8188efw.bin into it.

> Thank you for your patience. I am unsure and truly don’t want to screw
> up and have to start over.

Even if you created an unnecessary file in a system directory, you would not
harm Linux. To do that, you need to delete or rename a critical file or
directory. As long as you are careful with the rm and mv commands, you should be OK.

I made the directory, copied the file and set up the WiFi in Network Manager.

WiFi now works!

Thank you for your time, knowledge and work. You and thousands of others who share their time and expertise make open source fun instead of drudgery. The world is a better place for it.

Again, Thank You!

Cordially,
TwoHoot