Toshiba Tecra A9 Graphics issue?

My laptop gets green lines going throughout the screen and sometimes the screen wont turn on, and then other times when i turn it on it is clear screen but when i go to play a movie or a game i get green lines. im pretty sure its an issue with the graphics card but i dont know what to do or how to fix this? help plz

You did not mention the openSUSE version or desktop you are using. By default I would assume it to be openSUSE 12.1, 64 bit and the KDE desktop, but its just a guess. Also, I guess we need to know the type of video system which would be good to know. If it is nVIDIA or AMD, there are proprietary video drivers we could load and for Intel, we could go up to kernel 3.4.1, were the driver is located. In the mean time, you can try and type in the kernel load command nomodeset while in the Grub OS selection menu just before you press the enter key to startup openSUSE.

Thank You,

On those occasions did you try a different video output mode with your multimedia player application ? On those occasions you could also check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and also the dmesg contents to see if they yield any hints as to the problems.

You noted this to be a Toshiba Tecra A19 , which according to some web sites has a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (typically integrated in the Intel 965GM). Older openSUSE versions (going back some years) did not support this hardware well or at all. So as jdmcdaniel3 noted, you really need to advise as to your openSUSE version (please) and also confirm my speculation as to the graphics. Also note comment about the log files to look at to try and figure out why you may have a problem.