Hello,
i try to install tomcat and run ./catalina.sh start : tomcat doesn’t work
then in run ./catalina run and i get the log :

linux-laptop:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin # ./catalina.sh run
Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java/jre
Using CLASSPATH: /home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Feb 9, 2013 11:52:20 p.m. org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
SEVERE: Begin event threw error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.ManagedBean
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.13)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(libgcj.so.13)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:145)

etc…

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanNotificationBroadcaster not found in org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader{urls=[file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jasper-el.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-es.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-ant.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/annotations-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jsp-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/ecj-4.2.1.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-tribes.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-jdbc.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina-ha.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/el-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/servlet-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-api.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/catalina.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-fr.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-dbcp.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-i18n-ja.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/tomcat-util.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/lib/jasper.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar,file:/home/thierry/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=], parent=null}}}

Can you help me to resolve the problem please?

I installed myself tomcat via YAST and everything was installed correctly. The difference between my instalation and yours is that by default tomcat is installed by default in /usr/share/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh and not in your home directory. Th is way it has access to all the libraries it needs by default. I started it and I didn’t get any errors according to /var/log/tomcat/catalina.out.

i downloaded apache-tomcat-7.0.27.tar.gz. Extracted. went into catalina
and did this and i did get the admin page at http://127.0.0.01:8080/

mantis@linux-u7wa:~/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/bin> ./catalina.sh stop
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr/lib64/jvm/java/jre
Using CLASSPATH:       /home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/mantis/Software/Java/apache-tomcat-7.0.27/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

Also do post output within code tags

Thanks,
but i delete tomcat in my directory and installed it from yast.
i can run ./catalina.sh start—> no problem but i can’t run./catalina.sh run
when i go to page localhost :8080 i have no problem but a BLANK Page!!!
can you help me?
Best regards

I will install from YaST and get back to you :slight_smile:

Step1:-
Ensure that all these packages are installed in YaST

• jakarta-commons-collections-tomcat5
• jakarta-commons-dbcp-tomcat
• jakarta-commons-pool-tomcat5
• libtcnative-1-0
• tomcat
• tomcat-admin-webapps
• tomcat-el-2_2-api
• tomcat-jsp-2_2-api
• tomcat-lib
• tomcat-servlet-3_0-api
• tomcat-webapps

Note:- screenshots are from GNOME. The tools(YAST) may look different in KDE
Step 2:- open YaST an locate runlevel editor
SUSE Paste
Step 3:- open expert mode in runlevel editor and you can start and stop tomcat from here
If you want tomcat to automatically start with machine then set the run level at 5 or something using checkboxes
SUSE Paste
Step 4:- open the url( http://127.0.0.01:8080/ ) in browser and you should see the admin pages
SUSE Paste

only 2 packages are not installed by default tomcat-admin-webapps and tomcat-webapps. The rest as vazhavandan said will work just fine. So now learn how to use it. Good luck!

@dmera - I see that tomcat is creating a user on my system when installing through YaST. Do this happen on your system too ?

vazhavandan: the user tomcat is created according to /etc/passwd file. I think is for administration purposes.

For a moment when i saw a new user my system login screen i was stunned :slight_smile:

Thanks all!!!
it works
Thierry

just a note for vazhavandan: I don’t have any extra users at the logging screen. Also in Yast -> Users no user is displayed. Only the /etc/passwd file was updated for the tomcat user:

tomcat:x:110:112:Apache Tomcat:/usr/share/tomcat:/bin/sh

So I’m not sure why in your installation it was created.

Do you have these installed too ?

tomcat-admin-webapps 
 tomcat-webapps. 

I did install them when you earlier mentioned in the thread about them. I checked with YAST and I do have them.

I removed tomcat from YaST.I use the un-tared version. I will try and reproduce this issue again.

First i ensured that i had removed the earlier user from GNOME after uninstalled tomcat
Then i re-installed the below packages and restarted machine

$zypper se -i *tomcat*
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                                | Summary                      | Type   
--+-------------------------------------+------------------------------+--------
i | jakarta-commons-collections-tomcat5 | Jakarta Commons Collection-> | package
i | jakarta-commons-dbcp-tomcat         | Jakarta Commons DataBase P-> | package
i | jakarta-commons-pool-tomcat5        | Jakarta Commons Pool Package | package
i | tomcat                              | Apache Servlet/JSP Engine,-> | package
i | tomcat-el-2_2-api                   | Expression Language v2.2 API | package
i | tomcat-jsp-2_2-api                  | Apache Tomcat JSP API impl-> | package
i | tomcat-lib                          | Libraries needed to run th-> | package
i | tomcat-servlet-3_0-api              | Apache Tomcat Servlet API -> | package
$

before install :- SUSE Paste
after install :- SUSE Paste
YaST after install :- SUSE Paste