Tired of opensuse and new versions

I’ve been behind openSUSE for a long time (about 3 years), and I’ve tried my best to learn it’s finer points. At this time I have had enough.

It seems every single version release I have to learn another **** way to install any graphics driver. My latest issue is installing the ATI driver, the way it is documented, and it having issues doing anything GL after installation.

I will now be seeking other distros instead. But if you really want the openSUSE project to really be accepted on the desktop, you’ll have to start cutting this crap out. I am tired of it, and it certainly isn’t helping win over any fans (READ: people I know).

There are far too many regresions from one release to the next. I certainly hope that this issue no longer persists, because unless I hear of drastic change, I have no intention of returning.

To those who would quickly dismiss my words, realize that i’ve already read at least 3 articles on getting my drivers working. Fact of the matter, in this day and age, such commonly available drivers SHOULD NOT be so hard to get working.

Goodbye openSUSE, I hope you grow up.

It is unfortunate that you feel this way. It is true that the installation of and choice of drivers is limited in Linux compared to Windows. But other distro’s are in the same boat. ATI Drivers & Software
Do offer driver downloads as do nVidia (which I use)

You don’t need to leave on such a sore note. If you find better alternatives, feel free to share the info, explaining how it provides where openSUSE doesn’t.

All the best.

Moved to soapbox,as it is more of a rant than a request for help

Andy

The instructions I have followed include the ones outlined on the ATI site (for openSUSE 11.1) as well as one on this site, as well as one on a third party site. I do not have a beef with having to download drivers. The issue is having to look up different ways to install them EACH AND EVERY release.

Comparatively I am having a much easier time with ubuntu.

I like how constructive you are. Automatically shutting me down and assuming I’m immature because I think the system is broken. Nice work there “moderator”.

I really don’t feel all the fault is with 11.1.
Some of the problem is with the video drivers. Which has been an on going problem.

As stated above it’s sounds like you aren’t asking for help. You have made up your mind to try other distro’s .

You have been here for 3 years. So we would hate to see you leave. You could stay here and still be part of the forum.

I do understand your frustration and sometimes it is better to take a little break and come back fresh.

Checking out other distro’s isn’t a bad thing. Mint might be one to try if you use Gnome desktop.

Good Luck and we hope you find your way back here.

I already know that the OS community is working with the discrete graphics developers to improve the situation, and I am glad. My problem is the integration into the openSUSE environment has not improved. I have been using openSUSE since about 10.2, and each time I have to read up on how to install the drivers. This is for both ATI and nVidia btw, so don’t think I’m singling one company out.

The fact of the matter is that the general public will not go to the lengths I have, having to read up article after article just to get my **** graphics drivers working “properly” (as properly as they can get working in linux right now).

I could just as easily stop using openSUSE all together and NOT post about it. However I want to see change, for the better. Hence why I post here.

I know this thread is typical to someone who has not looked up how-to’s, or posted for help, etc. But at this point I have done way more than I should to get such common drivers working (which includes both reading how-to’s and forums on the subject).

Doog, I appreciate your responding to me as a human (as opposed to the way the moderator responded). I hope that change will occur to resolve these sort of things.

My bad, sorry.

Is this really called for? The OP has a valid point, - graphics drivers are still a complete pain to make work, - our recent experience with ATI has been far from easy, - to the point where we’ve had to return to the standard radeonhd drivers because the ATI ones left us with an unstable mess of a machine.

He wasn’t asking you to grow up, he was asking for the distribution to, - which in my honest opinion, in terms of the way graphics and sound are handled, is quite valid. As a moderator, taking things personally is the last thing needed, and far from the way to handle things.

To the OP, - I do hope you stay, - I know how frustrating things can be, - from being told to go in seven different directions to achieve the same goal. There have been some great strides in improved quality recently. Things are far from perfect but they’re getting better. I hope you’re able to hang in there with us.

Regardless of what distribution I have used ATI drivers were a horror show most of the time.

AS for the comments on nvidia driver installs, I guess I must have missed something because the installation of their drivers hasn’t changed much in years now, except for the fact that it has gotten easier to do.

Chuck the garbage video card (ATI) and get something that works (Nvidia), even Intel does a better job then ATI.

Sad fact of the matter is, ATI has always had crappy, difficult to install drivers, that hasn’t changed.

It’s a shame that you feel it is the fault of the distribution.

I do not have the luxury of simply replacing the card. As it stands I have installed ATI drivers before, and they were a lot easier than version 11.1. But that’s not my point. My point is that with each release of openSUSE I have to jump through different hoops to simply get the drivers working to an okay level.

I am uncertain what you classify as an acceptable level of the drivers working, but in my case it is getting “glxinfo | grep direct” to say “yes”, and to have a higher number of FPS when using glxgears than 150.

As it stands, I followed the instructions from many different sources, and it didn’t work. Obviously there is a failing there, but the bigger issue for me, and I am certain for my clientele, is that it is ridiculously overcomplicated to install the ATI drivers (and in some cases the nVidia drivers).

Sure, I know (kinda) how to do it. But my clientele will not be bothered with having to go run aticonfig --initial, and if that messes up, walk through xorg.conf finding the one messed up field. I know that aticonfig --initial is on ATI’s end, but certainly the openSUSE project can work with ATI to try and streamline this more. Maybe making a script for them or something that executes automatically, and advises the user to reboot their machine.

tl;dr: It’s too hard, make it not so hard to install ATI/nVidia drivers.

Well, I’ll keep my eyes peeled. But as it stands now, I will not recommend 11.1 to anyone at this point (but I might try it on an nVidia box). I certainly hope they figure out a way to make it a lot more friendlier to install these drivers.

Considering that we have a package manager, it also seems a bit of a stretch to even go to a website for the drivers. Surely we can get yast2 to download the latest .run, run it, and let us interact with the GUI, then run whatever scripts are needed to finish it, and say “you gotta reboot buster, now or later?”. At least for now.

> Chuck the garbage video card (ATI) and get something that works
> (Nvidia), even Intel does a better job then ATI.
>
> Sad fact of the matter is, ATI has always had crappy, difficult to
> install drivers, that hasn’t changed.
>
> It’s a shame that you feel it is the fault of the distribution.

Agreed.

Sure, I know (kinda) how to do it. But my clientele will not be bothered with having to go run aticonfig --initial, and if that messes up, walk through xorg.conf finding the one messed up field. I know that aticonfig --initial is on ATI’s end, but certainly the openSUSE project can work with ATI to try and streamline this more. Maybe making a script for them or something that executes automatically, and advises the user to reboot their machine.

Here’s an idea. Someone write a simple program for installing ATI and Nvidia display drivers. Call it “The OpenSuse Automated Display Driver Installer”.

You log in as super-user, and tell the program where the downloaded driver or installer is located. The program then figures out if it’s ATI or Nvidia, checks to see if dependencies are installed, downloads them if necessary, runs install scripts and does post-install configuration routines, then logs you out when it’s done.

How hard could this be to do?

No one is making you upgrade openSUSE, if you’re happy with that particular version then just stay with it. It’s common sense really. :wink:

>
> How hard could this be to do?
>
>

Well if I know the savants that produce this stuff there probably is no
consistent way to identify their hardware even if it’s by the same vendor.
As a result simply detecting which product is installed is probably an
artform in itself. When internal standards are not adopted or followed
you end up with this type of issue.

BTW, what you are suggesting, nVidia already has…for Windows.
You visit the site and it detects what card/chipset is installed(via
ActiveX) and provides you with downloads. Seeing how that system has
problems…AND…it’s produced by the very manufacturer of the cards, I’d
say it must be far more complex than one would imagine. Is that an excuse?
Not really. If they had consistency across their product lines and a clear
means of identifying the devices there really wouldn’t be a problem with
component identification. That problem does not affect just video cards
either.

Surely you have been into Yast and have seen ATI, and Nvidia repositories there?

The nvidia repository works a treat on any and every machine I have installed on.

For my own machine I use the latest beta nvidia driver, took a total of about 1 minute to install the driver and restart the xserver.

YAST has a bad habit of giving people the wrong driver for their kernel version, and it does not do the post-install configuration which is sometimes needed.

The hardware support section is chock full of people who tried the one-click drivers and YAST who end up with blank screens and other problems.

I have seen the nVidia repository, but I do not see an ATI repository. I have still had to jump through too many hoops in past releases with nVidia. I cannot comment on 11.1 however, sorry.

The point of releasing new hardware is to either fix stuff, or offer new features, not regress. What’s the point of doing it then?

I want to use the newest version because typically I’m doing it on hardware that can take advantage of new features.