Thunderbird uses Gnome instead of KDE file dialogues

Hi,

since ~10 days, I have the problem, that in Thunderbird the Gnome instead of the KDE file dialogues are shown when I would like to save or attach documents.
The problem occurs with Opensuse Tumbleweed and Thunderbird 91.10.0.
How can I “motivate” Thunderbird to use the KDE file dialogues again?

Best wishes,

Michael

Do you have the package kmozillahelper installed?

Regards

susejunky

Hi susejunky,

thanks for you answer.
Yes, kmozillahelper is installed (5.0.6-1.13).

Is there a trick in the extended Thunderbird settings to change the file dialogues back to KDE?

Best,

Michael

I have

user_pref(“widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal”, true);

in my user.js file.

But probably this parameter can be set via the menu: Edit -> Preferences -> General -> *Config Editor *as well.

Regards

susejunky

There is a bugreport for it: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1200987

My system:

openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220624
KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.95.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.18.4-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Firefox 101.0.1-1.1
Thunderbird 91.10.0-1.2

Firefox and Thunderbird are both using the Plasma5 file dialog since I started to use Tumbleweed 3 years ago.

Regards

susejunky

This bug is for Leap 15.4.

Yes, I cannot reproduce it on TW either. With kmozillahelper Firefox is always using KDE dialogue. Without kmozillahelper Firefox respects widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker setting.

This is outdated. In current Firefox there is no such property, there are multiple widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.* which are integer, not boolean, with default value being “2” (autodetect). So in your case it most likely works due to kmozillahelper.

This works perfectly! Thank you!
I used the editor in Thunderbird searched for “widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal”, changed the value from “false” to “true” and then closed and restarted Thunderbird. Now, I got the KDE file dialogues back.

Best wishes,

Michael

Then read this bug again:

**Fabian Vogt **2022-06-28 09:40:26 UTC
Affects both TW and Leap, but TW more severely because the workaround in Plasma wasn’t enabled for systemd bootup, used by default in Plasma 5.25+.

Ahhh, … I was not aware of this. Thank you very much for this peace of information!

Probably the new thunderbird version will use those four new widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.* (.file-picker, .location, .mime-handler, .settings) as well.

Could you point me to a place where i can find out more on what those new settings will do and how they will work?

Thank you very much.

Regards

susejunky

You are always welcome!

However as you can see by the post of @arvidjaar Mozilla changed that parameter (what I was not aware off). My Firefox version 101.0.1 has now four widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.*. Probably the next Thunderbird version will have that change too. So we might have to keep an eye on this …

Regards

susejunky

Code to access preferences is auto-generated from this file: gecko-dev/modules/libpref/init/StaticPrefList.yaml at 44fafbda9bf125f10fee94cd7c4b65146848ad64 · mozilla/gecko-dev · GitHub

If you want more details how each preference is used, I am afraid you have to look up in sources. But basically, there are several portal services to access various information, the idea was originated in flatpak and allows sandboxed application to access services on host in controlled way. Using portal for consistent look and feel is just one side effect.

Thank you very much for that link!

Checking the sources might be beyond my capabilities. But this link will help me to cross-check my user.js file (which i derived from GitHub - arkenfox/user.js: Firefox privacy, security and anti-tracking: a comprehensive user.js template for configuration and hardening some time ago). I guess i will have to scrap/change some of my prefs.

Thank you.

Regards

susejunky

I will have a look on it. Let’s see what will happen with the next Thunderbird version.

Best,

Michael