thunderbird doesn't open links anymore

on my PC=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, OS=opensuse 13.2 KDE= 4.14.3, Thunderbird=31.3.0.
In the past when I clicked on a link thunderbird opened it in firefox, not doesn’t happen anymore, after the click the bouncing icon of firefox appear and a notification also appear that says this:
but nothing is opened in firefox.
any way to solve??
manythanks, :slight_smile: ciao:-) pier

Well my “/var/tmp/kdecache-user/krun/title_of_the_web_page” links open.

If not running it will invoke the Profile Manager allowing me to open one of my four installations. I use the Beta version as my default.

If running it will try to start another instance of Firefox.

No matter what version of Firefox I am using, Thunderbird installed from openSUSE displays the same problem. (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.4.0 ID:2015010900) Thunderbird 31.4.0 is set as my default email application.

The Daily version 38.0a1 installed from Mozilla opens the links properly, and doesn’t try to start another instance of Firefox. (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.0a1 ID:20150122030223)

But then the Daily acts like it is integrated with KDE because when I receive email the KDE Notifications pop-up. With Thunderbird 31.4.0 the Thunderbird notification pops up.

All very confusing as to why things don’t work as expected.

Forgot to mention I’m still using openSUSE 13.1 with KDE 4.14.4.

91 views and no experts have a clue?

Hope someone solves your problem pier.

I solved mine by not using openSUSE versions of Thunderbird as stated in my first post.


and the section “Setting the browser that opens in Thunderbird - Linux” at

Do either of those fix it?

Thanks for the link. I’ve repeatedly set Firefox Beta as my default browser in KDE’s Default Applications. It always switches back to "Open http and https URLS in an application based on the contents of the URL.

Thunderbird 31.4.0 installed from openSUSE already had “network.protocol-handler.external-default;true”. I set the other two preferences mentioned in the ghacks article to true.

Clicking on a link brought up the Launch Application box asking me to set an application for each protocol.

I navigated to my ~/applications/fxbeta folder and selected the “firefox” executable file for each protocols preference.

Links now open properly from Thunderbird 31.4.0, instead of showing “/var/tmp/kdecache-user/krun/title_of_the_web_page” in the Firefox address bar, and another instance of Firefox doesn’t try to start.

That still doesn’t explain why links opened from Thunderbird Daily 38.0a1 work properly with;


I should not have to make Config Editor changes to get an openSUSE build of Thunderbird to work properly.

Hope this fixes the original posters problem.

Thanks for the help!

My system is openSUSE 13.1 KDE 4.11.5, 32-bit; with Firefox 35.0 and Thunderbird 31.4.0 both from the repository at
Firefox is set as the default browser.
Thunderbird has setings


and I am almost certain those are default, not something I changed.
Clicking a Thunderbird message link opens the page in a new tab in the running instance of Firefox. (I set Firefox to open links in a new tab rather than a new window.)

This is strictly a guess, but maybe Firefox Beta puts a configuration file somewhere other than where openSUSE KDE looks for it, so setting Firefox Beta as default does not take.

I haven’t had the issues described in this thread. (My system: openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.14.4, TB 31.4) Thunderbird and Firefox work as expected, and TB settings already configured as expected:


It is a mystery. Not sure when this problem appeared for me, but I think it was after a reinstall of openSUSE 13.1, after a failed openSUSE 13.2 installation. I worked around it by using “Copy link location” and pasting it into the browser.

I have 4 versions of Firefox installed and 2 versions of Thunderbird.

Firefox 35.0 and Thunderbird 31.4.0 current releases installed from openSUSE.

Firefox 36.0beta, 37.0a2 Developer Edition and 38.0a1 Nightly. Thunderbird 38.0a1 Daily all from Mozilla.

The Daily version of Thunderbird worked correctly with all versions of the browser. The release version did not.

Maybe I will test the release version with a new profile and see what happens.

Going backwards in versions can be a problem if the newer software changed its config files. They may not be backward compatible.