This ain't a 'Good Thing'...

Hey all,

I bit the bullet and got 11.3. I mainly got it for my moms system since I also had her stuck on 10.3 as I was on my own system.

I’ve been using SuSE/openSUSE since 7.3 (~2000 or early 2001?) and the installation has pretty much always been very easy with little or no troubles - until now.

I’d set it up so that her old /home partition would NOT be formatted, so as to save pictures and all kinds of stuff. Unfortunately, after getting everything done, I go into a file manager (I prefer krusader) and all the folders are there, but absolutely zero files of any kind.

Has anyone got any ideas at all what might be going wrong or went wrong? I’ve had my mom using Linux since 10.3 was new and if/when I have to tell her everything of hers is lost, she’s gonna just break down and cry (and at 71 years old she don’t need to be hearing things like this). Please, someone tell me they know a simple fix or a reason it did this.

Thanks

I fear you may have a problem …

1. Why would you even think of doing any form of upgrade without backing up all data first? If you did back it up great, then restore from the back-up and your back in business.
  2. You say all the folders are there but no content. This can mean a few things assuming the home folder was not overwritten, As user, the contents of the folders may be marked “viewable by owner, not viewable by group or others” in which case you may need to go to root and mod the permissions
  3. It can also mean that you had soft/hard links to the files somewhere else on the system which you might have deleted during the install process.

with more precise info we may have other idea’s for you to check

One thing is certain. The installer only did what it was instructed to do, certainly it would not have wiped/formatted the /home unless you set that up as it is not done so by default.
Did you use custom partitioning and set the mount point for the /home partition? And did you use exactly the same username for that?

I take it, you didn’t make any kind of backup?

First off you never ever install new system or play with partitions without first backing up all important data.

Did you double check the partition scheme to be sure that it was set the way you thought it was before committing?

That said did you go to the command line and do a ls to see if the files are there. ie is it a krusader problem?

Look at /home and see if there is some other directories that may hold the data.
If previous install user had some other UID then 1000 you may have old data in a odd place

Another thought maybe you marked the partition not to be formated but did not set it to mount as /home

do a mount command and see if the /home mount point is the original home partition.

Note if you missed that /home directory will be in root and there will not be a mount point

It couldn’t have been formatted if the folders are still there. I’ve done it like I’ve done it on every SuSE install I’ve done for the past 10 years. I used the exact same user name, passwords, everything.

My gravest mistake in those same 10 years…I never made backups on my own system and things were always fine…I don’t do it on my moms system and I lose everything she had. Man, one couldn’t feel more bummed-out than I am right now just thinking about having to tell her this bad news. <sigh>

Thanks for the help bud, I do appreciate it.

Yeah, I know better, but haven’t needed to do it in ten years, like I told another guy. I guess it looks like it caught up to me. I just hate that I fscked up her system. I always feel worse when I do something to someone elses stuff, I couldn’t give a crud about what’s mine, but when I mess up someone elses things, even though I mean well and am trying to help, it just kills me because of how they are gonna feel.

Yep…3 times actually.

ls shows nothing but those folders.

I’ve tried looking everywhere and even doing some searches…nothing but the folders. I never changed her UID (I don’t even do that on my own system), so I don’t know if that could be a problem or not. If so, what would I do to check it out?

Okay…this is what comes up when I did a ‘mount’ (w/out the quotes) as user, not root:

eli@linux:~> mount
/dev/sda3 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,mode=1777)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/sda2 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)

Any idea what it all means? I bet I did forget to set its mount point. Is there a way I can check or do it and not lose anything?

What is the result of:

cat /etc/fstab
ls /

become su -
then do:

fdisk -l

eli@linux:~> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QUANTUM_FIREBALLP_LM20_184011538373-part4 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QUANTUM_FIREBALLP_LM20_184011538373-part3 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QUANTUM_FIREBALLP_LM20_184011538373-part1 /boot reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QUANTUM_FIREBALLP_LM20_184011538373-part2 /home reiserfs defaults 1 2
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

bin boot dev etc home lib media mnt opt proc root sbin selinux srv sys tmp usr var (with tmp being in green)

linux:/home/eli # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 20.4 GB, 20416757760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2482 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0008e84e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 7 56196 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 8 1182 9438187+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 1183 2227 8393962+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 2228 2291 514080 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Maybe change the fstab thing?

So according to that info:

/home is sda2
/ is sda3

What get from

ls /home

Is anyone else using reiserfs in openSUSE 11.3
Is it supported?

If you boot a live cd of Parted Magic and mount sda2
What do you see

I see it in the partitioner so I guess so

bin boot dev eli etc home lib media mnt opt proc root sbin srv success sys tmp usr var (with eli & tmp in green)

I only have dial-up where we’re at, so downloading that would take a good while and then burning it to a cd.

I only have dial-up where we’re at, so downloading that would take a good while and then burning it to a cd.

This is worrying
Have you examined the contents of each
Because to me, at a guess I would say you just got mixed up during the install and used your original /home as /
and / as /home
In fact I am pretty confident of this

I was surprised when sda2 was /home, I was expecting it to be /
That would be the normal way in an install

Yessir, checked all of them and nothing shows up that should be in her /home/eli

• Irgun2 wrote, On 09/19/2010 09:36 AM:
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > > > ls /home
    > --------------------
    >>> > >
    > bin boot dev eli etc home lib media mnt opt proc root sbin
    > srv success sys tmp usr var (with eli& tmp in green)

Looks like you told the installer to format what was your /home, leave / untouched and mount it as /home.
Doesn’t look very good, sorry…

Uwe