ThinkPad T490 can't boot after removing efi partition

I have a multiboot configuration - Win10, openSUSE and Ubuntu.
I made some changes to the partition structure and removed the EFI partition. Now openSUSE won’t boot but other 2 systems can boot (I think it’s because of another EFI parition on the disk).

I tried to reinstall (by upgrade option) openSUSE from install DVD to somehow rebuild the EFI parition but with no luck. I’m stuck with an invalid EFI boot option with openSUSE - it doesn’t boot and albo can’t be modified by **efibootmgr **- after restart it has previous values.

Any ideas? I don’t won’t to run a clean install - it’s fully configured. I’m only missing the EFI boot.

Without knowing more about how your possibly complex multi-boot is configured, it’s hard to know for sure what is happening.
And, if you had secure boot enabled, it may be next to impossible to re-build your boot (but maybe someone else might have a better idea how to address those issues).

I’d recommend the following which should work…
Don’t remove your existing partition leave it in place.
Better still, if you can clone the partition, do so to preserve your data and configuration.

Option 1
Try to install over your existing partition.
I haven’t tried to do this with TW and very recent versions of LEAP but as late as LEAP 15.0 I was successful…
When your install screen reaches the “Layout” select the “Guided” Advanced option which will open the graphical tool Partitioner.
Although the more you understand the default BTRFS volume layout, the better your odds of success but if like most people you just accept the defaults when you install, all you may have to do is configure the root partition (/) to point to your existing partition.
With any luck, the install will create your EFI partition in the empty space where you deleted your earlier EFI partition, and simply accept everything in your / partiition, along with all its configured subvolumes.

Option 2
If you try Option 1 but when you look at the Partitioner can’t figure it out, you can bail on that install and start over.
With this option, make sure you have sufficient empty, unpartitioned space for a new installation. You may need to use a partitioning utility (I recommend Gparted Live) to shrink existing partitions to create the required empty space.
Once installed, mount the old partition and copy all its data to same locations in the new install.
Reboot and cross your fingers that everything is migrated and accepted.

BTW -
Boot issues are not uncommon for multi-boot systems
And this is why my personal SOP is to avoid all those issues and use virtualization instead.
There are a few situations where a “bare metal” install is needed but those are few and far between for me…
Virtualization keeps everything separate and highly disposable, it’s very difficult for anything to happen to a VM, but when it does is generally no big deal because I can make backups and cloned duplicates of everything in a minute or so.

HTH,
TSU

It should be fixable. Mount the existing EFI partition at “/boot/efi”, and then reinstall booting.

You may need to boot install media to rescue mode to do this.

I don’t know your skill level, so I don’t know how much help you need.

I have some skills :wink:

So what I tried is to make a clean install on my laptop but before that, I make a openSUSE partition clone on my NAS so later I can restore it.
After a successfull instalation i still have the opensuse-secureboot on my UEFI boot list but it still can’t boot.

It looks like a UEFI problem where the list can’t be modified. On a clean install the partitions GUIDs are new and the boot menu item still tries to boot the previous partition. Also efibootmgr can’t save any changes - after restart I get the same menu.

I have a Lenovo ThinkServer.

Yes, I can make changes with “efibootmgr”. But, after I reboot, most of the changes go away. If I want changes to stick, I have to go into the firmware settings (BIOS settings) and change them there. It’s probably a Lenovo thing.

I think, that I found what causes that EFI changes are lost after reboot. I found in the UEFI setup an option called Lock boot order. Well, it tells me that no system can change the boot order. But in reality what it does it locks any changes to the boot entries. Even when you don’t change the order and just rename a single entry.

So for now I need to restore my openSUSE partition from my NAS and make some changes by the efibootmgr. Hope it works :wink:

Ok, I have it working and writing this post from my restored openSUSE :wink:

So what I done is few steps from here https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/528400-Repair-a-broken-UEFI-GRUB2-openSUSE-boot-scenario
After I chroot my partition, I only run shim-install. It finally added a new efi boot entry but after reboot I got dracut-initqueue timeout… Well, I booted the Tumbleweed DVD and run the Upgrade option. The upgrade process had 2 errors because of wrong UUIDs in fstab but I ignored that. After reboot it finally works.

I’m glad you have things working.